Shore power keeps tripping

murciaservices.com
Hi guys

Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.

When plugged into the port it will sometimes work for an hour or so before tripping the fuse on the port terminal.

I’ve turned every fuse off and still have the same problem.

It’s a SUNSEEKER Camargue 51

Generator runs starts and charged fine but this has been going on for two weeks now

Thanks I’m advance

Seastoke

Visit site
Ok , first check connections on your boat inlet for corrosion , does your fridges work on 230v and 12v if so turn off 240 and run fridge on 12. also it might be tripping on overload not earth fault.

Seastoke

Visit site
Is it 16 or 32a . If it trips at random times ,start and make a list what is switched on at the time of trip . To tell if it’s the rcbo just plug into another socket ,if it still trips it’s on the boat. Does it ever do it when you are in bed.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Usually, if the generator can run the boat under the same load without tripping and you’ve tried different cables and different shore side sockets...(and asked your neighbors if they are having problems) then the problem has to be from where your shore power cable plugs in to your boat up to the fuse board that it shares with the generator.
If you haven’t tried all the above permutations, I would just pull out the hot water element because it’s a weak point

Seastoke

Visit site
Usually, if the generator can run the boat under the same load without tripping and you’ve tried different cables and different shore side sockets...(and asked your neighbors if they are having problems) then the problem has to be from where your shore power cable plugs in to your boat up to the fuse board that it shares with the generator.
If you haven’t tried all the above permutations, I would just pull out the hot water element because it’s a weak point
He does not say he has tried another shore socket

Hurricane

Visit site
This was the cause of my similar situation, a new element solved it!
Same for me - several times over the last 15 years.

OP - Do you have a "Hot Water" switch on your main electrical distribution panel?
If so, switch it off and see if the problem goes away.
If so, you need a new immersion heater - they always cause this issue.

EDIT - after reading Seastoke's post - he may be correct.

One other time this has happened to people on this forum was the Ice Maker - try completely disconnecting any Ice Makers (physically unplug any) - if you have one.
Then try again.

Seastoke

Visit site
Ok start again , turn off shore power , disconnect brown and blue wire off clarifier and make safe in connector, or at worst tape safe , switch on shore power with all fuses and and switches on even hot water , if it trips it is not the clarifier element.

Bouba

Visit site
The last two times it’s happened to me...the first was the hot water element...the second was the shore power cable...it seemed that fishermen tried to pull my boat closer to shore to retrieve their hooks (which the bastards left for my wife to catch her hand on), by using the cable as a rope and ripping it in two

Seastoke

Visit site
The last two times it’s happened to me...the first was the hot water element...the second was the shore power cable...it seemed that fishermen tried to pull my boat closer to shore to retrieve their hooks (which the bastards left for my wife to catch her hand on), by using the cable as a rope and ripping it in two
I would expect your to be your electric blanket.