Shock, horror

TrueBlue

Visit site
That nice Mr. Graham has sent me a last minute notice stating that Hurley Lock is not quite ready for normal service and won't be for nearly three weeks.

You have to ring up some remote office and book a passage when some equally nice person will hold you hand and guide you through.
No landing.
No chatting.

a bit of a pain as I've run out of fresh water...

Joking aside (it was intended as a facetious comment), I'm wondering if this is the longest stoppage / restriction for a single lock in recent years?

I'm sure somebody out there knows.

Hurley is such a small lock (!) and looking at the field below the lock there is an huge collection of containers and equipment, so heaven knows what is still on the lockside.

Which raises the real point of this thread -

Does anyone have any photos of the construction work that they are prepared to "donate" to this forum or somewhere similar (I hesitate to suggest whether Boat One or Teddington underscore Lock might be prepared to host them...).

Something to indicate the scale of the operation would be great. I don't think folks appreciate how massive these constructions are when viewed au naturelle.

Adding Shiplake - seriously large crane - and Sandford - massive gates - to the list would be appreciated.

Indeed, thinking on the fly, "we" don't have a Thames scrapbook of photos or information to pass on to future generations.

"This was the Thames, before they filled it in or "Lost Navigations" could be a title. ;) ;)

plumbob

Visit site
I noticed this retriction as I was about to arrange moving the boat to Espar to have a little work done. I must say, I, probably inadvertantly, assumed the phone number given was in fact the lockie........am I wrong, ? I havent checked. If I have recovered from this latest illness (man flu plus), I may take a trip down there tomorrow to survey the situation.
I note it says customers will not be allowed off their craft, I assume there may be a lack of bollards, if there were any, why would one want to get off the boat anyway ??
I dare say a flourescent jacketed individual will be there to aid my passage.......when this flu has left me , of course.

TrueBlue

Visit site
The 01491 number is in Wallingford, so I assume it's some desk wallah.

Possibly there to deter you? (I jest). But it does imply that resources may have to be marshalled - clearing stuff out of the way perhaps?

I suggest it's not a matter of ringing from the next lock up or down - if you get my point.

plumbob

Visit site
indeed I do get your point. We are at the RAF site just above the lock and are on an 01491 number so you never know !! If I survive long enough, I will ake the old digital and get a pic or 2

TrueBlue

Visit site
indeed I do get your point. We are at the RAF site just above the lock and are on an 01491 number so you never know !! If I survive long enough, I will ake the old digital and get a pic or 2

Most peculiar; so is Henley 01491 and I've just checked - in case I was having a senior moment - as is Wallingford.
A huge area; Bucks is obviously a sparsely populated area

Heavens! thats pretty well a day away...

apollo

Visit site
Went and had a look at Hurley a few weeks back, nothing to see as all fenced off and the whole site covered in tarpaulins.
Footpath was redirected down behind house and back other side of the lock.
Sorry, I tried.

apollo

Visit site

Hope you are feeling better for the rivers quiz next week.......

Rumour has it there will be a round of questions on fenders.....(I'll get me coat)

plumbob

Visit site
Thanks for the good wishes Mike..........SWMBO and i will be on top form, just as long as there are no questions on contentious things like , what sort of animal is a Harlequin ( NOT a rugby player), or what is the first number, counting upwards from one, to have an "a"................, theres food for thought !!

dmst

Visit site
Hurley Lock refurbishment

Was down at the lock today, still a fair bit of work to do by the look of it. I have taken some pictures which I have tried to upload but have had a few problems doing this. Once these are resolved I will try and post them. It looks a very posh job!