Shivering sands fort

jon and michie

Visit site
Thanks oldgit for the info - I have looked at a few youtube videos on the forts and going to look at great train journeys tonight.
we will be picking up our new liferaft on thursday and this will be our first adventure out.
Jon

Leighb

Visit site
Why are they removing the masts? Seems dangerous to me .... Why not just leave them there?
From what I have read, they feel they have corroded to an extent which could mean them collapsing into the structure beneath and possibly setting off the ordnance.
The risk of removal is now less than the risk of leaving them.

Aquaboy

Visit site
"Ah, the "if you don't do it my way you're doing it wrong" Mr Stock. I had many very enjoyable years on the East Coast with a 1.5m boat"

I'm off to Felixstowe Ferry this after noon once the ebb gets going from the Orwell. Plan to arrive around low water, decide which entrance to use. Land on the beach by the fishermen's huts, grab some fish & chips . Drift home tomorrow after leaving around 7am-ish....

BUT.....and there is a big but, I would have gone further but looking at the gusty forecast for the next few days........I'll chicken out.

oilybilge

Visit site
Worth checking out the history of all the forts especially regards the pirate radio era.

I love this paragraph from wiki

In 1964 Screaming Lord Sutch set up Radio Sutch (a pirate radio station) on one of the old towers. However, he soon became bored and handed the project to his friend and unpaid manager Reginald Calvert, who then expanded into all five towers that were still connected and called it Radio City.[2] After Calvert was killed by Oliver Smedley, his wife took over for a short time before the project was closed by legislation and the towers again abandoned.

oldgit

Visit site
Radio Caroline
Been back on 648 AM for ages.
Recent increase in power and decent signal in on car radio.
.......and unlike the rest of the dire local radio on FM no adverts for Double Glazing or the dross which passes for music today .
Believe the mast being used to transmit the present 648 AM signal was once used to jam the original Caroline broadcasts.

The real icing on the cake have yet to hear a single note from the walking dead.......aka ABBA. :)

Last edited:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Radio Caroline
Been back on 648 AM for ages.
Recent increase in power and decent signal in on car radio.
.......and unlike the rest of the dire local radio on FM no adverts for Double Glazing or the dross which passes for music today .
Believe the mast being used to transmit the present 648 AM signal was once used to jam the original Caroline broadcasts.

The real icing on the cake have yet to hear a single note from the walking dead.......aka ABBA. :)
Yes, I like it. If only I needed off mains drainage though. :)

Behome

Visit site
Midweek best place on the Medway is MYC.You should get a pontoon berth and save £20 over the marinas. An option is Queenborough. Alternatively, if going via REd Sands , go into the East Swale and anchor or pick up a buoy at Harty Ferry.