Shining Examples

jimi

Visit site
well. took middle daughter + 3 friends out on the boat on Saturday, went to Cowes, there was the usual mayhem at West Cowes, "Can we raft alongside you for lunch?" I ask politely .. "We're leaving very shortly" were the essence of all the replies even from one guy still mooring up. Never mind .. off to E Cowes radio in and are alloted a berth. Go to it and find a yacht already in the process of mooring in it, go back on radio, Marina Office know nothing about it. "Excuse me" I call, "the marina office have allotted this berth to me." They've already given it to me." was the reply. Back on the radio, "Never spoken to him was the reply".
I said "OK, if I raft on him?" .. "Please do, was the reply". OK if we raft on you I ask the guy?" .."We're leaving very shortly was the answer!"

I rafted on him ... he was still there when we left 2 and a half hours later.

Considerate behaviour and a fine example by all to 3 thirteen year old girls who had never been on a boat before ... I must say

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
That is the shi...

...tty behaviour that is all too prevalent in many areas of life in this country.

It was more important to all of them to have gotten one over than to be sensible, or, God forbid, helpful. In the yob culture helpful = weak. Bull necked obstructionism = macho.

SAD (progeny of unwed parents)

I hope that nobody here is going to defend such behaviour?

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
I never ask and if they say "We'll be leaving shortly" I always smile and say "Grand - suits me fine, so are we"
I never ask because its obvious that if you are looking to berth alongside, then you have to go somewhere.
I never refuse someone wishing to berth alongside - unless I don't like the look of the party. That could be a load of prats in Musto longshorts with sunglasses in their hair or for example a boat with at least 3 - 13 year olds on it. But I never say that I'm leaving shortly..."No, F**k off you daft looking load of t***s normally keeps things fairly stright.
I find people seldom ask to berth alongside me, Dear Heart says it is to do with my unfriendly countenance and this habit I have of licking my eyebrows.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

claymore

Visit site
I\'d like to defend such behaviour

Partly because Steve wants me to and partly because I know just how damned invconvenient it can be when you are trying to have a nice peaceful time and then some inconsiderate sod has the brass necked, blue blazered gall to go and park alongside and then they start asking you things like "where have you come from" and "Where are you off to" and being friendly and next thing they want to start drinking your gin and eating your smoke salmon pate sandwiches - then blow me if they haven't given you a tour of their blasted boat and a blow by blow account of all the stuff they've had done on it and how long they've been sailing and the fact that they go on the scuttlebutt website and - hang on...."are you the Claymore....?
Bah - humbug.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

tcm

Visit site
Re: I\'d like to defend such behaviour

I agree. Surely the whole point of clearing off on your own boat is because you want to escape the infernal pressures of conventional good manners.

Whenever anyone shows me round their boat i always roll my eyes and shake my head in compassion. If it's a new boat, i say "I just don't know how manufacturers get away with it". If it's secondhand then say "You've probably made the right decision - buy a cheap boat and instead of bothering with all the maintenance just let it gently rot away".

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
I guess in the Solent this really only applies to West Cowes and Yarmouth - the alternative is to get into one of the marinas, but we were charged a stunning £70 for two nights in Lyminton Berthon Marina last week. At Yarmouth we were charged £12 per night, but we did have a boat rafted against us the whole time. We were lucky in both cases, one being an old couple that retired early, and the second a delightful family, with very polite children, whose parents, once the kids had gone to bed, helped us devour a couple of bottles on wine - and a new friendship was born. Further down the pontoon however, ther was a very raucous party making a great deal of noise until past midnight - didn't worry us 'cos we were still enjoying some nicely chilled Chablis, but I would have hated being next to them. There was certainly no "sorry, were about to leave" in evidence, but the berthing guys at Yarmouth do not stand for any of that nonsense.

<hr width=100% size=1>

GeorgeP

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your experience. I've only had that a couple of times. I just said, "We're staying on board and can move to let you out." Funny that I've never had to let anyone out during a lunchtime stay. Just plain bad manners in my view.

For the next question, who has had the most expensive lunchtime stop? I had £5 for a mooring bouy last week in Bucklers Hard, and £9.20 a couple of years ago at Berthon in Lymington.

<hr width=100% size=1>