Shifting Issues from Neutral to Forward

Advantage

Visit site
Gents, could use your help with some shifting issues. I have a 2007 Formula 400SS with Volvo Penta D6-350s diesels and DPH-A drives. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

For Background:
At time I am having issues shifting into forward only on the starboard-side. Reverse seems to work every time on that side. And the port-side seems to work in forward and reverse all the time. I had this issue last fall so had the shifter cables replaced over the winter but the symptoms are still occurring.

The problem seems to be more prominent after the boat has been run for awhile and at operating temperatures. In other words, it seems to shift when the boat is cold. When I do experience the problem, the boat often does shift itself into forward after a long delay like 15-30 seconds. Or, which I do not prefer to do, I bump the throttle slightly beyond the initial forward position increasing RPMs to get the shift to occur with a thud.

It's get scary to dock the boat in the current and wind when you realize the starboard-side forward gear may not engage in a timely manner.

Also worth noting is that when the boat does shift into forward on the starboard-side (without bumping the rpms) it does it delicately like you hardly even feel the shift. On the port-side (the good side), when the boat shifts into forward it does so with authority and you feel the shift. Also, you do feel the shift into reverse on both sides.

For my troubleshooting, I have adjusted the shifter cable at the shift actuator location several times with no difference in behavior. I removed the shifter cable linkage from the shift actuator and it shifted in all positions; actuator is doing it's job every time from neutral to reverse and neutral to forward. I greased the actuator mechanism which also made no difference.

I took the linkage off the port-side which is working great to see if I could notice a difference in shifting or cables. Hard to tell but the shifter cable seems to as flexible/stiff when shifting manually by hand with no noticeable difference between the two.

So, I think the shifter cable may require further adjusting at the drive or helm station. Or, possibly, I am thinking I may have a weak cone clutch on that side.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Advantage

Visit site
Jasoncork, I have been away from this site for some time due to travel. I ended up removing the drive and bringing it to a local repair shop. They replaced both the cone clutch and clutch fork. It wasn't as expensive as I was expecting so I take that as good news. There's plenty of other crap on this boat that is more than expensive. It's working great now.