Shaft/coupling problem

G

I have a problem that I hope someone can solve!
I have a Seamaster 925 with a mitsubishi herald diesel engine which is maintained well, but I have had a problem with the drive shaft coupling on two occasions.

On both occasions I have been entering a berth or rafting along side, giving blasts of power in forward and reverse to manoever myself, and suddenly I lose all thrust, due to the shaft coming away from the coupling.

Luckily I have been in a situation where I got help from other boaters to secure myself.

The shaft slots into the coupling with a key inserted into the groove between the coupling and the shaft.
An M8 SS bolt slips through a hole in both to secure them.

On examination of the bolt, it had sheared cleanly at the centre.
What I don't understand is how any load is being applied to the bolt, surely the key should take this, and how it is shearing at the centre?

Luckily I could change the bolt while the boat was still, but with the engine in the usual awkward position on most yachts It is very fiddly, I wouldn't like to try it at sea.

Can anyone suggest either another type of bolt, or method of securing the shaft into the coupling, or any other advice?

Regards

Sean Foster

tr7v8

Visit site
If the M8 bolt breaks then I'd assume it's taking engine torque. Yes you are correct it should be purely taken on the keyway, but normally this would be done with a taper and a keyway on the shaft. I suspect the keyway has been fretting which has made it loose in either the shaft and/or the coupling.
So bad news is that it needs to come apart and be investigated thoroughly.

Jim
--------

yoda

Visit site
The key way will only transmit torsional load. When going from ahead to astern when manoevering there can be quite a considerable axial force. The bolt needs to be a good fit through both shaft and coupling to ensure maximum possible effectiveness by minimising the relative movement of the 3 components. If 2 bolts have already gone then it is quite likely that there is slack somewhere in the holes and they will need a careful check befor you go further. Matching holes and bolt size needs to be done carefully and may require a bolt making to suit (a 'fitted bolt')

Yoda