Sewing machines

Peter

Visit site
I am currently outfitting our yacht for a circumnavigation. We are looking for advice on sewing machines for general sail repairs, canvas work etc. With questions around, to take one or not, what is a good model/make, where can you get these machines from, new or second-hand, any special bits needed for the machine etc. Thanks for any advice

Peter

G

A good old secondhand manual Singer used to be the benchmark of the long distance cruising fraternity - robust and reliable but I dont think could do zig zag cross stitching. However, in the Azores last month a number of people were waxing lyrical about a new machine for cruisers they'd seen/purchased at the Annapolis Boat show. It is available from www.Sailrite.com priced $500-800. Its principal attractions are that it is electric spares are available, it has a walking foot and does cross stitching. Dunno whether they do 240v though.

Have a look at the site.

G

Heres a link to check: http://www.sail-rite.com/

If I botched the url, the companies name is "Sailrite". They market sewingmachines for sailers, as well as cloth,
sailkits, and alot of other items. I believe they do international shipping as well.

Other threads that may be of interest