Servicing a furling winch

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I have a 1996 vintage Selden furling winch on my in-mast rig. Of late the winch has become stiff to the extent that unfurling is impossible without hand cranking the winch at the mast rather than the more normal pulling the sail out with the out haul. I have consulted with my pro-riggers who advise that it is possible to service the winch but this requires the removal of the winch from the mast; their description of the process makes this sound like one hell of a job. Has anybody else done this and how hard was it? Any tips? The rigger has also suggested replacing the winch with new - £2.5k! If I can grease it I'd prefer that option!

TIA

rob

Yngmar

Visit site
I've done this on my 2001 edition Selden "Furlin" winch. It's not documented, the manual just says that it is possible with the mast up on my model, but doesn't waste a word on to how. Encouraged by that, I went exploring! :)

Eventually I figured it out - obviously the sail has to be removed first. Removing the stainless cover at the top lets you pop out the endless loop control line. Then the furling foil inside the mast can be detached from the winch, which is the fiddly bit your rigger doesn't like (although not really "one hell of a job"). Once that is done, undo the four large bolts holding the winch in the mast, slide the tube on the foil up and pull the winch out of the mast (some wiggling required). Clean out a few decades worth of dead spiders and whatever else has fallen down the mast and landed on the foam insert below the winch.

Once it's out, it's fairly straightforward. There are a few dowel pins to punch out and then it all comes apart for a good cleaning. Do this in a bucket, because elsewise you will never find all of the bearing balls again. I cleaned and degreased everything thoroughly, replaced one mangled dowel pin (£2 Selden part), stuck the balls back into the bearing with some grease (Furlex grease - calcium based I believe). Put it back together, injected some more grease into the bearings and gearwheels and shoved it back into the mast, reattaching the furling foil.

Finally, tension the furling foil with a luggage scale and winch handle as per Selden instructions. Do lubricate the "turnbuckle" before doing this. Wipe off any excess grease before putting the sail back on. Furls like a champ since then, I don't think the poor thing had seen any maintenance in the 15 years before.

Yngmar

Visit site
Had look to see if I'd taken any pictures of this. Unfortunately the only one I took is less than helpful:

furlingwinch.jpg

Yngmar

Visit site
Yes, backstay was slack - this is something I do habitually before furling in as a straight foil makes for easier furling.

There are three different types (RA/RB/RC) with several different revisions each of these units. Drawings and some exploded views can be found on the Selden website. Mine seemed to be one between two revisions and has parts from either (or perhaps a Bavaria special version, who knows).

You can see the round access hole just below that rope clutch on the left side of the mast. That's where you'll have to get your tools (or better yet, long, thin, arachnid fingers) in to disconnect the foil from the winch. I seem to remember finding some Allen keys useful for poking around in it. Good luck - cussing always helps ;-)

Talulah

Visit site
Yngmar posts are pretty spot on. The photo is very useful.
Just to add a couple of extras:
As it is sometime since the winch was taken off you may encounter some resistance.
The main back plate is held on with philips headed bolts. These may be seized and an ordinary screwdriver is going to ruin the heads.
Instead you'll need an impact screwdriver. The best one I've come across is the Wera Impact screwdriver set but there are cheaper options.
Use Duralac when you reassemble.
Also due to oxidisation on the back plate you'll need to clean out the hole the winch shaft passes through. A drill with a flap wheel in makes light work but wet and dry will do.

macd

Visit site
Use Duralac when you reassemble.

It can't harm, but on my 1989 Selden set-up, the major fasteners are simply slotted-head but, crucially, screw into stainless steel thread inserts which are original: hence no galvanic activity between fastener and thread. I just put a smear of lanolin on the threads. It should be obvious whether the OP has a similar set-up.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Bringing this old thread back to life to say thanks to the contributors - I tackled the servicing of the winch yesterday with a sucessful outcome. The most difficult part is getting the tensioner to come loose as it is so easy to damage the foil if tools are used to hold it stationary whilst winding the drum (to release the foil tension). However I found that the foil has a hole in the central spine through which one can insert a screwdriver thereby safely holding it whilst anticlock winding the drum - and the tension comes off easily. After that its all fairly straightforward. So - if you have an increasingly stiff Selden furling winch at the mast - I would say it is not as difficult as it might seem to remove and service it. Good advice as above in earlier threads.

WightMistress

Visit site
IMG_5844.jpgHi All,
I have one of these fitted to my Fisher 34 and I have managed to rebuild it twice in 17 years. Thing is, I have no idea what make it is. I think my masts are old 'Proctors' and am just interested to know if anyone else has one, or has seen one, or has any information on it please. Very happy to share experience of refitting and keeping it running - it actually allows me to furl and unfurl at any point of wind/wind speed (tried 'em all without damage.)
Steve

IMG_5845.jpg