Serious - RYA

miket

Visit site
2 serious questions requiring serious answers, please.

1. As Motor Boat owners, do you feel that the RYA does a good job for you?

There are currently 2 committees that represent the needs of cruising boat owners:
RYA Cruising and RYA Motor Boating.

2. If these 2 merged into one committee do you believe you would be better served or worse.

Thanks, in anticipation.

MedDreamer

Visit site
As a motor boat owner on Windermere, my view may be considered subjective but I see no sign of the RYA offering any support for the boating community up here who want to see the decision on speed limits reversed (or at least revised).

This suggest to me that the raggies hold sway in that organisation - a situation that I cannot imagine would be improved by merging the two committees

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: RYA

surely the name gives it away?
But having said that i wonder who they do represent it seems to be a south coast racing elite.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'you're making a scene'.

tr7v8

Visit site
This is my first year as an RYA member. From what I've seen it should be renamed Racing Raggies Club as they seem to do b*(&(r all for Motorboaters and not a lot for non-racing raggies. Look at the current mag, the adverts etc all directed at competitive raggies.

PS Unlikely to renew membership next year!

Jim
----------

SteveT

Visit site
Re: Serious - RYA but what do you want

I do think we are very much second class citizens.
The training courses were the main added value they brought, but now competition is coming in that area. So now other than the volvo discount (is this still in place?) i cannot see any value they bring to me as a powerboater. BUT this does lead to the question well what do we want from them. Unless we are giving them the chance to deliver value to us with some idea's it is unfair to criticise.

BarryH

Visit site
Echo those thoughts, altho you will get someone saying they lobby the government and europe over things. Well I don't see it. The only thing that I've had from the RYA are a couple of bits of paper tp say that I've reached a certain level in navigation etc. Well now theres another body that can carryout testing and issuing certs. So the manopoly has or will be broken, lets see what happens then.

Yeah! I know its running rough, but your lucky its running at all!!

NorthernWave

Visit site
On the whole I have always found the RYA very helpful in advice on safety and tips on training etc, I was a little disappointed by a demo day staged at Chichester back in July as they were very much aiming at the rags when Chichester Marina (where it was) has a huge residence of power.
I feel that the merge would be good for us.

Relaxation starts at the pontoon gate

toobaz

Visit site
Intresting questions?
point 1............as a motor-boater I feel they do not offer anything other than a govening body for training, regulations and education. The latter being the main reason why they are more involved with sailing then motor-boating, due to the fact that the entry level into sailing is a lot younger than motor-boating.
point 2............and as RYA member, I was unaware of these two committees, so go and figure?
At the end of the day, do they need to do anything other than that?

Baz

oldgit

Visit site
The club to which I belong although being mainly power craft (of the most basic sort)have in the past been given support by the RYA.a letter from them almost certainly put paid to a scheme that would have caused my club a great deal of trouble to say the least.

Just hold tight dear it will not be so rough when we get round the corner,trust me.

duncan

Visit site
It would be nice to see them openly supporting a motor boat initiative some time; especially if it were at the risk of alienating some of their sail contingent - just to give us confidence that they will be there on the bigger issues if needed. Windemere was an example of one that got away ; after Loch Lomond it will be the Solent and at some point people will really scream.
They have however taken positive steps on the MCA issue recently; they support a wide range of training establishments with their work and we still have red diesel - although many are looking to switch to eco friendly ex chippy veggie oil in the near future...........
Like many sports it is the competition element that holds together and drives the rest - why should boating be different. Golf and Football club subs mainly go on the elite - although youth and foundation work gets big headlines it is usually outwith the accounts section.

oldgit

Visit site
Re:not serious Chip fat.

We need a device that after the morning fry up the oil is delivered directly to tank.
That only leves the washing up.and apart from chucking the whole lot over the side dishes n all.........................

Just hold tight dear it will not be so rough when we get round the corner,trust me.

JohnR

Visit site
As a member I didn't even know that they had a cttee with any inteest in motor boats - let alone two!
The RYA have never been able to answer any technical question I put to them and the only reason I pay my subscription is that I need to use an RYA surveyor each year.

ChrisP

Visit site
After sitting on an RYA committee for the last couple of years I've come to the conclusion that they have no interest in actual boating except what they can make from the hire of their boats and trailers because thats all they talk about for hours on end. Bring up the subjects like expanding the sail teaching sylabus to include collision regs and safe navigation in harbours etc. and you can spot them chewing on their stinking pipe stems looking for their next half pint and discussing the new rowing lake. RYA and the motor boater. Nice idea but you've got to rid it of the self opioniated raggies at the top who know all there is about sod all before you'll ever get any service out of them where the interests of motor boats is concerned. And don't hold up the red diesel issue because they follow that one as a token effort to keep your money coming in. Yes, my chair is up for grabs.

ChrisP ;o(((((

What do you mean the sea gull in front's walking !!!

miket

Visit site
Thanks.

For all your responses, even ChrisP.
Chris is referring to a Regional RYA committee, which is heavily populated with resevoir sailing.

It confirms my view that, rightly or wrongly, the perception is that RYA does little for the motor boater.

I actually disagree, but agree with the perception!!

This will help me to impress on those that matter at RYA, the need to be seen to be doing good works, as well as just doing them.

Again, thanks all.