Sent packing

nicho

Visit site
I have just fallen foul of the oft used scam of charging OTT for post and packing. Having spent around a £1000 having a full cockpit canopy fitted to my Bav 36 with C&J Marine (who do most of the UK Bavaria sprayhoods and canopies I believe), I ordered a small canvass cover from them for my 2.2hp outboard to match. It duly arrived after a week's delay, with a £5.00 p&p charge on the invoice. The Postage was actually £0.88, and it was contained in a small jiffy bag. I telephoned on a point of principle to ask for the balance, however small, to be returned to my credit card. "Not possible" say C&J, "the £5.00 also includes other items"!! "such as what?" I asked. "All sorts, including labour to put it into the bag, and take it to the post office" I was told. What a load of crap.....why could they not have the decency to admit it's a scam to increase their profits! If there's someone on the forum that can explain this so called "labour charge" to me I'd love to hear it. A couple of quid is neither here nor there, it's the principle that pisses me off.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
It's not a couple of quid, its, £4.12, which is a considerable amount of money, of course they have to pay somebody, but wasn't that somebody already being paid for other duties, such as sewing etc. Bloody rip off and we all know it, same as low wages for waiting on staff, so as to increase the restaurants profits by getting us to pay them in tips, or adding service charge, just plain theft! Whilst I'm at it, I hate the way the credit card bill arrives not filled in, so you can add a tip, I feel this is soliciting money and should be stopped, the new machines do this automatically, bloody cheek. Why the hell should I have to tip a waiter anyway, pay the people properly, then we may get good proffesional waiters! Rant over, pant pant!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Will_M

Visit site
Did you not ask what the costings where before handing over your credit card details?

<hr width=100% size=1>

scottnewcombe

Visit site
Tescos charge you £5 for delivery but for that they bring your shopping to you in a van and then the man walks it up to your door. Worth £5 I think.

£5 for someone to load an envelope and place it in the post pile is a complete rip off. I'm definately in the wrong job.

Scott

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
It is not just Post and Packing charges you ant to watch out for: Everyone should examine the transaction slip when paying by either credit card or debit card. IT IS ILLEGAL FOR ANY FIRM TO ADD CHARGES TO AN ELECTRONIC TRANSACTION WITHOUT THE CARD HOLDERS PRIOR CONSENT.

If they do SUE them...it works!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
Yes Will I did, to be fair. However, my assumtion was that, as they send out many of these things, they would know the ACTUAL costs. I also assumed that, at that price, the package would have been bigger, and sent by Parcel Post or similar. My gripe is that it only cost £0.88 in postage, plus the cost of a small Jiffy bag (another 75p?), so I have been overcharged.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tony_brighton

Visit site
For that price I've just had a heavy windlass and switch gear delivered from the other end of the country in 2 days.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
yesterday i had to pay the postage on a peice of mail that had been sent with the incorrect amount
turned out to be bloody junk mail

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>if guinness is good for you. i must be very very good</font color=red>

Gunfleet

Visit site
I think you must have been unlucky with whoever you got on the phone. C&J supplied my spreayhood. When I mounted it I screwed up the plastic channeling they'd sent me. I rang and asked them for another, it arrived next day FOC, including postage.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Why not print out a copy of this thread and post it to the MD of C&J marine to show how quickly this kind of stuff gets into the public domain? I bet they'll take a slightly different attitude when they see how easy it is to get bad publicity amongst their target market.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rabbie

Visit site
Join the club Nicho. I dispatched my Clipper Depth to Nasa Marine for repair by 1st class post in its original box with a bit of bubble-wrap inside - cost - £2.45. When it was returned to me (by UPS Couriers!), the original box was further wrapped in some shredded newspaper and a much larger cardboard box(completely unneccessary) - cost £8.00+vat. Whats wrong with the Post Office?. Requests for an explanation remain unanswered by this supplier. Be warned everyone.

<hr width=100% size=1>.

jac

Visit site
My favourite tactic with the junk mail is to carefully shred all the material in the junk mail then stuff back in the reply paid envelope - preferable with any other bits of heavy rubbish I can find - (apple cores are good :) )

They then pay to have junk sent back. Seems almost karma!

And for cold calls on telephone I put handset in front of TV and let them talk to TV for 10 mins. Keeps them happy.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jac on 27/06/2003 00:45 (server time).</FONT></P>

B

bob_tyler

"IT IS ILLEGAL FOR ANY FIRM TO ADD CHARGES TO AN ELECTRONIC TRANSACTION WITHOUT THE CARD HOLDERS PRIOR CONSENT".

I'm interested - can you quote me the Act of Parliament etc. Could be useful in the future.

Bob

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aja

Visit site
Hope this hasn't got you worried and pacing the floor at this time in the morning?

Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
All I did was contact VISA who reluctantly, as they wanted to sort the matter out for me, confirmed that it is not permitted to increase the amount claimed on a CC/DC and to do so is the same as altering/forging a cheque.

I then contacted Trading Standards who confirmed that it was a Criminal offence.

The company in question took no notice of my leters so I issued a County Court Summons, yes just for £5, which cost £50 and was done on line. After the preliminary paper work was exchanged the supplier appointed a firm of solicitors who settled the matter out of Court within a matter of days, and by my calculation it must have cost them something in the region of £700!

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

Will_M

Visit site
"My gripe is that it only cost £0.88 in postage, plus the cost of a small Jiffy bag (another 75p?), so I have been overcharged."

To be fair I have to agree with you, you have been charged OTT, perhaps the Co concerned should review their min postage charges?

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
I've just discovered it's even worse than that - the Jiffy bag was a reused one that had been sent to C & J, so they didn't even have to pay for that!!!

I am awaiting a call from the boss there, who may be able to shed a bit more light on the subject.

<hr width=100% size=1>