Selling Broker or not?

Tranona

Visit site
I paid the final instalment for our new Bavaria using my debit card. documents were sent over electronically from Germany with BoS to the dealer. BoS and invoice to us produced at the same time and signed. BoS transferring our old boat to dealer prepared and signed. Packages of documents passed over the desk as soon as the debit card transaction went through. Painless (if you ignore the sums involved!).

All made much easier when you are dealing with people who do this for a living.

KConnell

Visit site
Where are you based? We used Indigo Yachting in Chi last year, great service. They do a “pay as you go” service where you can choose to use them for a little or as much as you’d like. We listed the boat ourselves but let them do initial viewings and all conveyance. Very smooth and cost effective.

Indigo Yachting

Sadlerfin

Visit site
Where are you based? We used Indigo Yachting in Chi last year, great service. They do a “pay as you go” service where you can choose to use them for a little or as much as you’d like. We listed the boat ourselves but let them do initial viewings and all conveyance. Very smooth and cost effective.

Indigo Yachting
Thanks, I've chosen a similar package with a broker recommended here. He lists it then passes any viewings to me and if and when a deal is agreed he then does the money transfer and paperwork.

ylop

Visit site
My impression is once boats reach a reasonable amount say £40k + buyers are nervous about not buying through a broker, mid 2021 when boats were selling within 20 mins of the broker advertising them and taking a 10% deposit over the phone I knew of a very nice boat (good spec, history and sensibly priced) being sold privately that took around six weeks to sell.

Six weeks isn't long but compared with minutes!
I think you are the first person to actually answer the OP's question. We bought a boat in that ballpark through a broker. It was the most expensive purchase we'd ever made except a house. We had looked at a few through brokers and exchanged emails with a couple of private sellers first. The broker probably did add a reassurance to the transaction, handled some of the mechanics like getting the boat lifted for survey, taking us for a test sail etc. I think we might have been reluctant as first time buyers of anything that expensive to do it direct. Perhaps we might have, and paid a bit less. The lat private seller we looked at (which was a very nice boat in all the pics) was still on the market at the start of the following season, so I don't think we were the only ones seeing life this way. My gut feel is cash in your pocket might actually be about the same either way.
As far as payment goes surely bankers' drafts are ancient history now?
Electronic transfer on the spot is instant and instantly verifiable, or else the vendor can buy a card-reader for under £30 on Amazon and the purchaser pays with a debit card. Again, instant transfer and instantly verifiable.
You'll be paying something like 2% on a debit card transaction (£800!!!) and I'd be amazed if a transaction that size didnt set off "alarm bells" at both ends for a £40K one off, first ever use transaction and might see your cash frozen for a while before it gets released...
Instant transfer has daily limits. Transfers with higher limits are not instant or free.
And a broker knows and understands these and is neither going to be surprised nor tripped up by the buyer being sneaky, stupid or disingenuous.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
You'll be paying something like 2% on a debit card transaction (£800!!!) and I'd be amazed if a transaction that size didnt set off "alarm bells" at both ends for a £40K one off, first ever use transaction and might see your cash frozen for a while before it gets released...

I think you worry unduly.
Sold my previous boat privately for a multiple of 40K.
Buyer paid both the deposit and the final purchase some using Transferwise (I think they're called Wise now) - Sterling to Euro.
In both cases the money appeared in my account within 24hrs.

ylop

Visit site
I think you worry unduly.
Sold my previous boat privately for a multiple of 40K.
Buyer paid both the deposit and the final purchase some using Transferwise (I think they're called Wise now) - Sterling to Euro.
In both cases the money appeared in my account within 24hrs.
Transferwise and a sumup style card reader are not the same thing.