Selling boat

KevinV

Visit site
Boats seem to sell year round. Better presented boats seem to sell quicker. Boats are easier to view on pontoons. I don't think there's much more to it. (I bought my last boat in October for instance)

scozzy

Visit site
Tennis courts are full around Wimbledon, golf courses packed around the open...I'd have it looking it's Sunday best a few weeks before new season crane in within 20 miles of it's location and someone won't be able to resist

B27

Visit site
Serious buyers should be looking soon, buying takes time and most people want to do at least odd jobs to a boat they buy.
If you want a full season in 2025, you need to be viewing now, closing a deal in the Autumn and getting the work done as soon as you can.

Refueler

Visit site
It used to be said that people will accept offers better at end of season - they can then avoid storage costs ...

Also that sellers thought buyers would be more easily parted from their cash at start if season - itching to get out there ...

Do such still apply ? I don't think so - not appreciable degree anyway ...

dancrane

Visit site
It used to be said that people will accept offers better at end of season - they can then avoid storage costs ...

Do such still apply ? I don't think so - not appreciable degree anyway
Why do you doubt it?

I still loved my boat at the beginning of the season, or I'd have been smart and put her up for sale then, when people like me wanted to be sailing.

By September all I foresaw was six months of berthing at £150 per month (or the same, ashore), during which I'd never want to think about sailing.

I practically gave her away, and gladly. I really didn't want to be paying for ownership while the weather took all the pleasure out of it.

Of course, if one is going to own a yacht, one must accept the summer with the winter (or in the UK, the variably chilly all-year damp grey windiness)...

...but once you have thoughts of selling, season's end is the time you really want to be rid of it.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I bought my boat mid-season because it ticked all the boxes and was for sale - I was the first of 2 people to view it, a few days after it hit the market and I bought it on the spot for a little under asking price.

A well found and presented boat will sell immediately so make sure it is clean and looking its best before hitting the market - and take good pictures of the boat, including the best, most atmospheric photos from past holidays - you're selling a dream to someone.

Selling in spring is season start, but people expect it to be ready to go, freshly anti-fouled etc. Autumn is also good as it gives the new owner time to do any mods or upgrades before the season start. Once you have made the decision to sell, de-clutter, deep-clean, fix cosmetic issues, take a good set of photos and get it on the market. I sold my last boat in 2 weeks in November with this approach.

ghostlymoron2

Visit site
Thanks for comments. The boat in question is a Colvic Countess ketch and very much a restoration project. Not mine but belongs to a friend who has had to give up sailing and has been neglected for years so water has got in damaging the internal woodwork. Lying in milford haven.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks for comments. The boat in question is a Covic Countess ketch and very much a restoration project. Not mine but belongs to a friend who has had to give up sailing and has been neglected for years so water has got in damaging the internal woodwork. Lying in milford haven.
In that case there is unlikely to be any "best time". a big project in a pretty remote area is unlikely to generate a queue of willing buyers. best to stick it on Apolloduck at a sensible price (sub £10k at a guess) with pictures that show what it is and see what happens.

NealB

Visit site
In that case there is unlikely to be any "best time". a big project in a pretty remote area is unlikely to generate a queue of willing buyers. best to stick it on Apolloduck at a sensible price (sub £10k at a guess) with pictures that show what it is and see what happens.
I've sold several boats over the last three years (one of my own, the others all for friends).

I found that ebay classified ads. (not auctions), got noticably more enquiries than identical ads on apolloduck, and all boats sold as a result of the ebay ads.

An ebay classified ad. costs £19.99 for four weeks.

Good luck to the OP.

Jim@sea

Visit site
When is the best time of year to sell a 30' sailing boat?
The best time to sell a boat is when its located in an area where there is a lot of sailing activity and marinas.
I found when selling that if the boat is based in Cumbria buyers from the south of England dont want to travel that far.
So when I was selling a speedboat I took it to Pwllheli to sell it and it went straight away.
I was selling another boat in Whitehaven and all the enquiries were from the south coast, the person who bought it came from Southampton and had relatives up north where he stayed overnight, but I still had to deliver it to Southampton.
And going back 40 years I was selling a Moody 30 in Manchester and that buyer came from Portsmouth.
Location is more important than time of the year.