Self steering wind vanes

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com
We are gradually geting set up - moving aboard in 9 weeks (which doesn't sound nearly long enough) and thinking about self steering. Choice is down to an Aries or a monitor. Any views on which is preferable - and why?

(We have a 40' ketch which will weigh about 12 tons fully laden).

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>Sarah&Pip

wpsalm

Visit site
Aries...strong and reliable, got about 50,000 miles and two rebuilds on mine so opinion influenced by sentimentality.....as for monitor no opinion beyond shinny stuff needs to be polished and stainless steel can be quite treacherous..

<hr width=100% size=1>

Samphire

Visit site
Why Aries or Monitor? Neither make any sense in a centre cockpit boat with control lines all over the place.Simplicity is the key.I advise Windpilot or Hydrovane
both are auxillary rudder type the difference being Windpilot uses a servo rudder
and smaller vane,Hydrovane uses a larger vane and no servo rudder,therefore
Hydrovane is simpler ie less to go wrong.Both are capable of steering large and heavy boats,both provide totally independant steering systems and both are proven and available together with parts etc.
Samphire

<hr width=100% size=1>

temptress

gbr195t.com
HI,

I agree with SAMPHIRE. I had a HYDROVANE on my last boat and it performed fine for over 10 years.

I have an electric (below decks) autopilot on my curent boat and have used this over the last 4 years but I am comming to the conclusion that a servo assisted aux rudder gear is also needed.

I have used aries and monitor in the past and both are good gears but there are better more recent gears that seem to me to be simpler and just as efficient. So why ARIED or MONITOR? I'd be interested in your thoughts. As my current boat is about 16tons I think a HYDROVANE would not cope so I'm probably going for one of the sefvo assisted gears with their own rudder.

Kevin
Temptress Of down
Southsea Marina
Hants

<hr width=100% size=1>Temptress of Down

warrior40

Visit site
I have a Monitor, not used it yet though.
will let you know. The Aries can seize up due to interaction of disimilar metals.
I had a Hydrovane on last boat, was OK, but not sure it would cope on a heavy boat like yours as the rudder only just managed on our 40 footer, 10 T weight.

<hr width=100% size=1>

wpsalm

Visit site
Aries seizing up ??? yes this is possible but don,t think it has anything to do with disimilar metals even a monitor will seize up and for the usual reasons....exposed to the weather for years and never used...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com
Thanks everyone - back to the drawing board a bit for us. I've asked Hydrovane for lots of details (I already have them for Aries and Monitor). Warrior 40 - you said the Hyrovane barely coped on your boat (same length as us but a bit heavier) - what are you going to use instead?

Anyone in Brighton or Shoreham with a windvane - a PM and a viewing will get you a pint!

<hr width=100% size=1>Sarah&Pip

johnq

Visit site
I have a 40 foot steel ketch of about 14 tons with a long keel with a Hydrovane fitted and it handles it fine. It did all the work across the Atlantic for us. The unit was speced for the boat by Hydrovane (Derick Daniels) and the unit worked straight out of the box first time.

We are based on the River Crouch - Essex so not that near you

good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

eleanor

Visit site
I had, first of all, a totally useless little French thing which fell apart at every opportunity, as did its successor.

Then I bought a Windpilot. What a joy! Pure absolute magic to use. Never a single moment's problem. It worked from the word go to the word finish - in other words, from the Cape Verdes to Trinidad. Once set up, it just worked and worked, absolutely perfectly. I loved it.

Now, having sold my monohull and bought a cat, I find I can't use it on the cat, and I feel sort of bereft. I was single-handing, 5-6000 miles, and my Windpilot was better than a crew at looking after the boat for me. I didn't think about this, when I bought the Cat (still ashore). It's nearly enough to make me sell the cat and buy a monohull again.

Anyone out there want to buy an absolutely 100% marvellous piece of kit - my beloved Windpilot?

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulonvt

Visit site
I have a hydrovane that was brill on my last boat, c/cockpit 8 ton cutter, but dont work on pressent junkrig scooner. have removed air vane, and mounted wind generator, and use small tiller pilot to control hydrovane rudder, works ok.
am in brighton, east arm

<hr width=100% size=1>