Self Righting Life Raft

Bouba

Visit site
This seems so obvious that many would not ask but I will, are self righting life rafts better?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I know they lost yesterday but this seems a bit drastic

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I don’t know how you can go from posting in the ‘Thread Drift’ thread to posting that:(

Sorry. I was worried about you when I read this. Praps stay away from the water for a few days until you cheer up;)

Bouba

Visit site
We have one as the last thing we want is to be fighting an upside down raft in an emergency.
I saw online some pictures and reports from YBW on uprighting a life raft and compared that to the YouTube’s vids of self righting (very impressive) and it seems, for an extra €200, a no brainer. But there’s always that hidden information that is not always obvious that I’m trying to elicit.

Bouba

Visit site
Sorry. I was worried about you when I read this. Praps stay away from the water for a few days until you cheer up;)

They went from challenging for the title to wondering if they will finish in the top half of the table, and you want me to cheer up:(

I was also just winding you up;). But I have truly been trying not to think about them, it is depressing but not quite suicidal:ambivalence:

D

Deleted User YDKXO

They went from challenging for the title to wondering if they will finish in the top half of the table, and you want me to cheer up:(
At least you'll have a nice shiny new stadium to show for this season. You prefer that to a Prem League winning squad dont you?

Bouba

Visit site
At least you'll have a nice shiny new stadium to show for this season. You prefer that to a Prem League winning squad dont you?
It would be interesting to see the new stadium. What I’d really like is for these losing streaks to end, I mean how is it possible that a club keeps the same habits over half a century despite all personnel changing thousands of times?
So what do you know about life rafts:confused:

D

Deleted User YDKXO

So what do you know about life rafts:confused:
First thing to ask is what do the local French regulations require because doubtless the bureaucrats will have something to say about this? Second why would you not buy a self righting liferaft anyway? You going to feel a bit silly standing on your flybridge with the rest of the boat underwater and your liferaft sitting in the water the wrong way up. Your only option then would be to get into the water yourself and attempt to right it and then try to get in the thing. I've done liferaft training in a swimming pool and getting in the liferaft from the water without help was bloody tough. Now imagine doing it at sea with a big swell running

Bouba

Visit site
First thing to ask is what do the local French regulations require because doubtless the bureaucrats will have something to say about this? Second why would you not buy a self righting liferaft anyway? You going to feel a bit silly standing on your flybridge with the rest of the boat underwater and your liferaft sitting in the water the wrong way up. Your only option then would be to get into the water yourself and attempt to right it and then try to get in the thing. I've done liferaft training in a swimming pool and getting in the liferaft from the water without help was bloody tough. Now imagine doing it at sea with a big swell running
The life rafts in France are marked according to the boat license you have. What kind of lift raft do you have? How many guest rooms does it have?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The life rafts in France are marked according to the boat license you have. What kind of lift raft do you have? How many guest rooms does it have?

I have 2 x 6 man self righting liferafts on my boat

Bouba

Visit site
I have 2 x 6 man self righting liferafts on my boat
Blimey a life raft and a chase life raft! You even get rescued in style :p
I’m looking at one x four man. What prompted this is USHIP is having 10% off Seasafe rafts. 10% is not much but I can’t find any better deal here, and it’s important to buy locally for when it’s time to service them.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Blimey a life raft and a chase life raft! You even get rescued in style :p
I’m looking at one x four man. What prompted this is USHIP is having 10% off Seasafe rafts. 10% is not much but I can’t find any better deal here, and it’s important to buy locally for when it’s time to service them.

No you can get pretty much any liferaft serviced anywhere. My liferafts were not bought in France but I had them serviced in France last year no problem. If you PM me with the make and model(s) I can check if prices in the UK are lower if you like

Bouba

Visit site
No you can get pretty much any liferaft serviced anywhere. My liferafts were not bought in France but I had them serviced in France last year no problem. If you PM me with the make and model(s) I can check if prices in the UK are lower if you like
Actually I didn’t know that, thanks. I did know (from the PBO forum) that you can self service them but I’m not that brave.
We can keep the info public (if that’s alright with you) there might be others in the same boat

So in English it’s a Sea Safe self righting four man in a hard container. But any brand will do as long as it’s recognized. Would shipping be a problem, because of its explosive nature?

Bouba

Visit site
There’s a magasin off the A8 @ Mandelieu in a shopping centre area .
https://www.cabesto.com/catalog/flipbook/nautisme19/#page/10
Cabesto is one of my favorite chandlers because they are cheap! But not with liferafts, very hard to find them discounted (there was one in my local Cabesto, very old stock, could have been used, a bit cheaper but you’d then have to pay for a service). On this particular raft USHIP is the same price except that USHIP now has 10% off.
I also have a USHIP store card which gives 5% but I don’t know if it works on sale items.

vas

Visit site
is it really necessary I wonder for the Med?
OK, you do seem to move the boat in the winter (most don't bother) but you also seem to move about and anchor by some nice deserted beaches.
So I recon even in winter it would be a matter of 20mins in the water to get to the beach, no?
Probably pointless at SoF with 25C+ water temp in the summer and all that traffic about.

[runs for cover!]

V

Bouba

Visit site
is it really necessary I wonder for the Med?
OK, you do seem to move the boat in the winter (most don't bother) but you also seem to move about and anchor by some nice deserted beaches.
So I recon even in winter it would be a matter of 20mins in the water to get to the beach, no?
Probably pointless at SoF with 25C+ water temp in the summer and all that traffic about.

[runs for cover!]

V
It’s compulsory in France if you go more than six miles from a place of safety