Self-inflating Lifejackets & the "Radiant"

charles_reed

Visit site
On 10/04/02 the 24m pair trawler "Radiant" fouled a fastner on the sea-bed about 45M NW of Lewis.
The procedure for clearing a fastner is commonplace and involves shortening the trawl until directly above the door at which point, like an anchor, it comes free.
On this occasion there was a 3m swell and a F3/4 wind and this resulted in the boat overshooting the fastner, swinging broadside on to the swell, listing until the port engine intakes were flooded and capsizing.
There was an additional, crucial, failure of power to the hydraulic winches.
Of the 5 lifejackets being worn, only 1 inflated and a 52 year old Polish deckhand was lost in trying to get into the (overturned) liferaft.

The lifejackets, fitted with the Hammar self-inflate mechanism, failed to inflate because the CO2 cylinders unscrewed themselves due to repeated wearing.
A recommendation has been issued by the MAIB, that replacement cylinders be glued in position, in future.

I know that I've often found the CO2 cylinders in my Crewsaver lifejackets to be loose on inspection - Crewsaver recommend that you check the tightness of the cylinder every time you wear the life-jacket.
A worthy exhortation, but one which might go by the board in a F8, at night, lashed by rain and in a capsizing vessel.
In future I shall use cyano-acrylate thread locking on the CO2 cylinders in my life-jackets.

I thought a few other yotties might like to consider taking the same action.

jamesjermain

Visit site
New lifejacket

Interesting and thought proviking post.

During the boat show the agent for a new 'Rolls Royce'lifejacket came on the stand peddling his wares. I can't at the moment remember the name of the product but a review will shortly appear in YM, I am sure. The relevance of this is that the C02 cylinder was secured by a bayonet fitting so it couldn't come unscrewed. It also had a much improved 'cartridge' system for replacing the self-inflation tablet, again preventing failure.

If/when I track down details in my pile of boat show bumph I will post again.

JJ

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
Re: Self-inflating Lifejackets & the \"Radiant\"

What worries me almost as much as the lifejacket failure is the fact that the trawler capsized. The weather conditions were hardly exceptional, fouling a fastner is common, and I'd imagine its easy to overshoot.

Was anything said about this in the report? Was the boat poorly designed, or could this happen to any fishing boat?

charles_reed

Visit site

Have a look at the report on www.maib.gov.uk - it actually, for an offical report takes the MCA quite tartly to task.

I wouldn't call a 3m swell common or slight tho' - on a Spanish-built boat she'd have been rolling through 50-60 degrees, pinned down like that by the port quarter.

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site

I used to work on many different trawlers, yes it is very possible, when you go fast most will bury the transom under water if you don't get it off the throttle, there is a lot of wieght being towed behind and it does not take a very big rock say to go fast. I have seen water pour over the gun whale when hoisting a full net too.

This does not surprise me at all, even if they had reported flat calm seas.

<font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ukstaffords.com>http://www.ukstaffords.com</A>

Shanty

Visit site

Not too struck on the idea of glueing gas cylinders in place. Loctite, or similar seems a better idea - the cylinder can then be removed for test weighing. How about fitting a locknut? It's simple, visible, and easy to check.