Seizing a shackle

brians

Visit site
Is it satisfactory to seize a shackle with a cable tie or must wire be used? The shackle will be connected to a pile.

Bav32

Visit site
I'm a fan of the cable ties.
Black ones seem to be best as I suspect they don't degrade as fast as the white ones.
Still a must is covering the thread with heavy grease of even better Boatlife sealant. Both of these prevent corrosion on the threads and cut down the friction when you are tightening the shackle.
Some say that the monel wire, being more noble than most metals, actually causes the corrosion that reduces the life of the shackle pin threads.
Discuss!

TSB240

Visit site
Had no problems on Piles at Pwllheli using black plastic ones. They are under water most of the time and will hardly get much UV. Replaced every year as we take our warps off in the autumn and replace in the spring.

NormanS

Visit site
For important things like moorings, I'm a belt and braces man. Just yesterday I wired up the large galvanised shackle between the chain and the mooring pennant, and then put on TWO cable ties as well! It's only a once a year thing, so it might as well be secure.:)

prv

Visit site
Still a must is covering the thread with heavy grease of even better Boatlife sealant. Both of these prevent corrosion on the threads

I'd have thought a bit of rusting together would be a *good* thing on a shackle you don't want undoing. I'm used to greasing galvanised shackles on Stavros's rig, but I deliberately didn't do so on the ones holding KS's home-berth mooring lines to the pontoon. Although so far after a season they haven't actually corroded at all and undid easily.

Pete

Lakesailor

Visit site
I've found cable ties have been pinched and broken. I still use them but add a loop of farm fencing wire which is galvanised and extremely tough. Difficult to bend around the pin, but difficult for it to come undone.
I have peened the threads of the pin before, but usually there isn't enough showing to make it effective.

KREW2

Visit site
If the shackle is permanently under water then it needs welding up. If it is visible and/or can be inspected regularly then it doesn't matter what you use, within reason.