Seized tele flex.

Visit site
Any tricks to freeing up a seized tele flax?

The ram is close to fully out and its seized where it goes into the outboard pivot point.

There is very little clearance on the end to hammer it in, maybe 4 inches.

No easy way to rotate it either.

I am guessing brute force is the only way?

Seems unfortunate that the part where the ram goes into the outboard pivot is made from steel so it's corroded and is presumably gripping the stainless ram.

Rappey

Visit site
Undo the steering link to outboard. You need to get the end of the teleflex out of the outboard tube. Penetrating spray, rotating shaft and maybe heat.
Once out you can establish if teleflex itself is OK.
15mm copper tube with emery cloth or sandpaper wrapped around in outboard sterling tube will slowly remove crud.

Visit site
Undo the steering link to outboard. You need to get the end of the teleflex out of the outboard tube. Penetrating spray, rotating shaft and maybe heat.
Once out you can establish if teleflex itself is OK.
15mm copper tube with emery cloth or sandpaper wrapped around in outboard sterling tube will slowly remove crud.

Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but not 100% sure what you mean there.

The tele flex can be undone at the 'other' side of the outboard and the cable seems fairly free between the steering wheel and outboard.

When you say undo the link to outboard, you mean where the outer sheath attaches?

Does the end of the teleflex with the hole in for the steering linkage to the outboard come off? It rotates a bit. Maybe 10 degrees.

Here's the end with the linkage rod removed.
20200627_193001 (Medium).jpg

This should slide into the rusty threaded part? Right?
20200627_193007 (Medium).jpg

This part rotates slightly but the main rod is solid as a rock.
20200627_193016 (Medium).jpg

This side all seems ok. It undoes ok and is moving about ok. (within the limits of the other side being stuck!)
20200627_193026 (Medium).jpg

Rappey

Visit site
I wasnt that sure of some of the things you explained..
You have taken off and undone everything that needs to be.
The item in pic 3 needs to be pulled completely out of the steel tube that it's in.
Often difficult as moulded outboard well is in the way! Sometimes you need to unbolt engine and tip it to one side so there is enough clearance to withdraw the pic 3.
Can you turn the steering at all with parts undone as in pics? If not then it's pic 3 part that is seized in steel tube .
Whilst everything is like in the pics does the outboard easily turn left and right ?
Getting pic 3 out can be a complete ar*e.
You can grab the flattened end with mole grips then wiggle like mad whilst pulling or using nylon mallet..
Cleaning out crud in steel tube once part 3 is removed is challenging.
The teleflex cable inside is a steel cable wounD with a spiral of steel.
The helm unit has a cog which the wheel turns.
That engages with the wound spiral of steel and pushes or pulls.
Don't over force the steering as will stretch the spiral then the cog won't grip so steering slips meaning new cable

Visit site
Hi Rappey,

The outboard turns fine with the linkage disconnected.

The part circled rotates a few degrees. This is attached to the cable right?
20200627_193016 (Medium).jpg

The tube, marked in blue, is supposed to move with the bit above, or not? The tube is totally solid. Initially I thought its supposed to be fixed and the end bit moves in and out, but then I saw some videos of the assembly and it looked like the tube is supposed to slide in and out of the outboard mounting and it's crimped to the cable at the end piece. If that's the case it is well and truely seized.
20200627_193001 (Medium)2.jpg20200627_193016 (Medium)2.jpg

Thanks for your help by the way!

Rappey

Visit site
Blue tube and red circle,It's all one piece .The cable terminates inside your blue section. It's all crimped together.
The eye on the end is part of the blue tube so to speak.
The whole blue tube slides into the mild steel tube that is part of the outboard.

Visit site
Blue tube and red circle,It's all one piece .The cable terminates inside your blue section. It's all crimped together.
The eye on the end is part of the blue tube so to speak.
The whole blue tube slides into the mild steel tube that is part of the outboard.
Yes thats what I feared! I wasn't 100% sure because the red part is moving and the blue part isn't! It's obviously just losened where it's crimped.

So the main tube is totally seized.

I've seen that video but in my case you can't twist the tube. It's solid. Vice grips or similar on it just scratch it up. There's no easy way to get hold of it. I tried rotating the end bit with the flats on as you can get a spanner onto it but it just rotates on it's own and the main tube doesn't budge.

I guess I need to try and tap it back inwards. To get a decent shot at it, the outboard will have to be tilted so it clears the side, like you said.

I can't think of any way to grip that tube hard enough to rotate it without crushing it or chewing up the surface.

I can try getting some heat onto the corroded part where the tube goes into the outboard mounting. I have a fine tipped gas torch that might do it.

Visit site
Result! After several hours, heating - cooling and applying my patent device for hammering in confined spaces it freed up. Once it moved a couple of mm, I could start rotating it and then it just freed off. Moves like butter now!

This is what it looked like when it started moving and I could extract it:
20200701_114454 (Medium).jpg

Clearance for hammering:
20200701_114508 (Medium).jpg

Hammering device!
20200701_114601 (Medium).jpg

Thanks for all the advice!

Water impellor next!