seized sea cock sorted!

G

Dear Readers, it is noy often that anybody replies to the forum with a successful story to the problem they presented in the first place.

But I will do so in the event that anybody has the same problem in the future, first of all let me thank all those that replied to my thread(post) and in no way pleasetake any offence if I did not use your suggestions.

The offending sea cock was warmed up with a blowlamp inside by my good friend "Nomad" whilst I was outside the hull with big hammer and a tool to insert into skinfitting and clout the "Tapered Gate Valve".

In less than two minutes out it popped and was then subject to a severe cleaning with emery and Soapy water..

The valve fitting was then cleaned and once all the Poo! from the previous owner was cleaned out everything was greased and re-assembled.

Job done! but beware! Nomad was almost sick with the stench and so was I after cleaning up the mess in the head!!.My thanks to the gifted plumber Nomad who saved me a lot of hard work not having to take out the old skin fitting and fit a new one, by the way if ever you meet him DONT SHAKE HIS HAND.

johnt

Visit site
huh! Now you tell us that its a TAPERED BARREL valve!!!!! Blakes probably!

we could have told you that was the way to get it out !

take the two bolts and the plate off the top and whack it from underneath!, and it dont usually need the heat!

A GATE valve is one of them nasty things with a wheel on that you get in your airing cupboard, it works by sliding a GATE down across the waterflow, not by turning a rotating BARREL

Gate valves always leak anyway! and they are the ones that you change for a ball valve!.........Ive still got 4 of the TAPERED BARREL type, working perfectly, checked at least once a year ..and I aint changing 'em !

G

John T! hate to dissapoint you but you are a little wrong!!

A. I did not Know it was tapered to start with, first time I have encountered a problem.

B. It does not have a wheel, it has a lever.

c. It does not slide a gate, the taper has a hole that lines up with the outlet pipe and then discharges.

D. Once cleaned up and greased, it did not leak so it can stay until such time as it does.

E. If anybody knew about these types of valve, then surely the info I gave relating to the problem would have identified that it was an old tapered valve, to those experienced readers and those that reply to this type of thread.

Once again my thanks to everyone that offered suggestions.

G

Ian, thankyou for your positive and courteous reply.

G

Thanks for letting us know the results - we were all on the edge of our cockpit seats waiting to hear.

Oh, btw, just tell us honestly. Did you actually have some pantyliners on hand so to speak just in case? What are you going to do with them now? Anyone found other uses for them?

G

Edward, that is a long story and more of a private joke, a fellow NOMAD who uses the name PADSCO had a little accident with one of these sticky things, it blocked his head totally.Then caused the boat to sink!! a long story but will always(HA HA!!!) be the Butt of JOkes between us.

G

Morrigh - thanks for the honest reply, putting us all in the picture. Unfortunately, in doing so, it looks like your friend Padsco gets the last laugh again. We look forward to your appropriate revenge in due course. Edward

G

Oi you,
What's wrong with my hands!! Anymore comments like that,and i'll shake something else.

G

Now hands that wash dishes can feel as soft as your face, in mild green fairy liquid!!!. But hands that clean bog pipes !! well, nothing wrong with your hands carol, ask the wife!!!!!!

johnt

Visit site
Read my reply again , both of them in fact!, you clearly stated that it was a GATE VALVE............IT AINT ! .....its a tapered barrel valve!

I responded to the request for advice about a GATE valve!

and GATE valves screw off as I said !

Im not wrong .your information is! you asked for info on gate valves I gave you info in gate valves, if you had asked for info on barrel or Blakes valves Id have given you info on them !

oh and if you leave it until it starts leaking you will have to do it all over again, you do remember that I said ........."you do check your blakes valves .dont you?" these valves need to be checked and serviced regularly or they freeze up.