Seen this?

sarabande

Visit site
I am not overly familiar with the Barrier, but doesn't the sun appear to be setting in the North-East ?

Time Out

Visit site
They have some fairly chunky cruise ships that go up to the pool. Some go under Tower and moor (dock!) alongside Belfast. The others sit outside Butlers Wharf or further down if bigger.

oldgit

Visit site
Yup, cruise ships do go up that far, seem to remember going past something rather big moored next to HMS Belfast.

"I am not overly familiar with the Barrier, but doesn't the sun appear to be setting in the North-East ?"

On this subject one might want to look at Turners painting of HMS Temeraire bring towed upstream to her final berth.

Time Out

Visit site
Butlers Wharf is also a frequent stop off for Superyachts either returning to the yard (Netherlands) or on their shakedown cruise.

In fact you may see one there in the coming days …

Pump-Out

Visit site
Interesting they have used a (Carnival) cruise ship, do any that large go beyond the barrier? It's been a long time since I was in London.
The RN, and a number of the larger cruise liners, go into Greenwich Ship Tier, which is complete with Boarder Force facilities for passengers to disembark. As said larger ones got to St Georges Ship Tier (off Butlers Wharf), RN OPV's and so forth go alongside Belfast.

In essence the design needs to ensure there is no reduction in the max beam of shipping passing through the barrier - currently 53 meters from memory

PilotWolf

Visit site
The RN, and a number of the larger cruise liners, go into Greenwich Ship Tier, which is complete with Boarder Force facilities for passengers to disembark. As said larger ones got to St Georges Ship Tier (off Butlers Wharf), RN OPV's and so forth go alongside Belfast.

In essence the design needs to ensure there is no reduction in the max beam of shipping passing through the barrier - currently 53 meters from memory

I think it was 61M for 2 spans when I looked it up because when i last went through it seemed a lot narrower than that! But the smaller ones are around 30M I believe.

W.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
West India Dock usually good for interesting craft.

Was down there with the youngest of my offsprings a couple of days ago to have a look at the Dutch warship TROMP.

Quite an impressive piece of hardware !

IMG_20220223_165234.jpg

I think the technical procedure when she is on the move at 30 knots is to "Get out of the way".