Seeking a Gooseneck Slider - Can you help?

Jon Pearce

Visit site
I have recently bought a beautiful St Mawes One Design, but unfortunately the gooseneck slider (identical to the one pictured on a friend's boat) came off in transit and is lost. I'm told this was a Barton fitting which is no longer in production. Do any of you have a spare I might purchase from you, or can you recommend any boating scrapyards (or similar) that might be able to assist me? I have the mast track and the boom end fitting, it is the slider I am missing. Thank you.

Attachments

• StMOD Gooseneck.jpg
    StMOD Gooseneck.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 43

William_H

Visit site
How much is missing? Essentially you need to find a slider as used for jib car, to suit the mast track. Then get a tube welded on to take the swing pin. If that is all that is missing. Or alternatively I would prefer to see a fixed gooseneck. Slab reefing and perhaps a small winch for main sail luff tension. But that might gert too far away from original design. ol'will

Jon Pearce

Visit site
Dimensions of your track are needed; without those no one knows if what they have in the scrap box might be suitable.
Good point penfold. The track is a 1" (25mm) track. The slider is 80mm long and the boss with the hole trough is circa 37mm long, with an outer diameter of about 25mm. The spigot that fits into is 15mm diameter, as far as I can tell without a gauge (i.e. just using a tape measure). Thanks

CLP

Visit site
Penfold has reminded me I have an old bronze fairlead which might be adaptable. The main body is 72.5mm long x 31.2mm wide overall. It seems designed for a 25 x 6mm track. The rotatable feairlead eye could be taken off and replaced or altered to make a gooseneck.

Attachments

• Fairlead1.jpg
    Fairlead1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • Fairlead2.jpg
    Fairlead2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Jon Pearce

Visit site
I have a genoa slider which may be of use if you have a local fabricator willing to make a suitable boss and weld it on.
View attachment 157930
Thank you penfold. I have a fabricator making a boss and I have also asked him to try to fold up a slider. If he is unable to do the latter, how long is the slider you are kindly offering? Thanks again for your support. Jon

Jon Pearce

Visit site
Penfold has reminded me I have an old bronze fairlead which might be adaptable. The main body is 72.5mm long x 31.2mm wide overall. It seems designed for a 25 x 6mm track. The rotatable fairlead eye could be taken off and replaced or altered to make a gooseneck.
Thank you too CLP. I have a fabricator making a boss and I have also asked him to try to fold up a slider. Might be easier to stick with stainless given that the boss and gooseneck are already stainless, but I am really grateful for your offer. Jon

Jon Pearce

Visit site
Minor update - the fitting in my original picture has been fixed by the owner of that boat using a screw. The original Barton (I think) part has either a spring loaded stopper or a screw in one.