Securing Liferaft on Deck

Babylon

Visit site
I've just replaced my liferaft chocks and had new webbing-straps made up deliberately too 'short' with D-rings sewn in at each end, each pair of which are lashed together with four or so turns (ie eight runs) of 3mm line hitched off at the ends.

So, although the liferaft is more secure on deck than before (the old UV-weakened straps had simple buckles on them which had also deteriorated in the elements to next to useless), I can now only release the liferaft canister either by untying or severing with a knife at least one strand of each lashing-line in an emergency.

I note that some boats have quick-release pelican hooks, while others have fancy automatic hydrostatic units - but then some boats keep their liferafts in valises in lockers!

I reckon my system is both secure and fast enough to release in almost all contingencies except being run down.

Any opinions on the different systems?

H

highandry

I've got a similar set up but my raft is on the rail aft. I've got a stainless serrated Diver's Knife in a plastic sheath Araldited out of sight under the raft so it's there when I need it. Just for info.. I did a "Dummy run" when I had to have the raft serviced and it took less than 10 seconds to retrieve the knife and cut the lashing. When I go ashore, if necessary, I put a push bike security cable and lock round the raft.

Cornishman

Visit site
I am sure your dummy run was most impressive, but not a lot of use when you are floundering in the water as your yacht begins to sink. This is when you are most likely to need the liferaft and when the hru comes into its own.

boatmike

Visit site
Mine is held by straps with a quick release toggle fastener. As supplied there was a stupid little chinese padlock on this but this has been replaced with a pin with a short lanyard on it. One pull and it is released.
That's at sea of course. In harbour it has gert big chains and padlocks!

Robin

Visit site
Ours is on the pushpit in a S/S frame with a S/S strap and overcentre clip to hold it in place with a drop-in pin at sea and padlock in harbour. However because our raft is mounted vertically in the frame which leaves a gap on the outer side of it where the raft is launched, we have an added webbing strap with a buckle. The buckle is quick to undo (seconds) but just in case we have a multitool with knife and saw blade mounted permanently in a holder nearby.

snowleopard

Visit site
What percentage of abandonings happen with the boat sinking so fast the hydrostatic release is activated? It covers a small minority of cases but you still need a manual method of release.

And hydrostatic releases are no use at all on multihulls.

Rafts are expensive pieces of kit so a security wire for use in harbour is an essential.