Second Anchor advice sought

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I have been given a few anchors and now need to set one up as a second anchor. The boat is a Princess 385 and I am looking for system to be able to store say 40 metres of say 14mm nylon warp and say 4 metres of 10mm chain.

Are these dimensions about right or am I over gunning it?

How can you store all this without tangling it each time you use it?

So what is the best way to set up my second anchor?

Paul

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Gludy. The time you will need a second anchor is about------ Well I think I used mine once in the last ten years. Then backed over it wraped the rope round prop, cut all the new rope to pieces with rope cutters. So just keep spare anchor and maybe a few feet of chain, with a shackle at the end. Then if you ever need it. Tie a lump of rope, or two lumps of rope to it. You dont need a special system. Not unless your coming across the problem regular.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Suggest you go for octoplait, doesn't kink and easy on your hands. Store it in a big plastic container and layer it in so the chain and anchors on top ready for use.

I have this system but have only used it once in 4 years and then only as a kedge to keep boats nose pointing into the sea to stop it rocking and rolling whilst at anchor. Sometimes wonder whether it's worth the considerable extra weight onboard, could get away with a much lighter anchor and much less chain.

ccscott49

Visit site
A bit of chain, 5 meters of 10mm, one of those aluminium anchors, and then use any bit of long rope you have onboard, big enough, I also agree, octoplait is the nicest to use.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Upgrade the main anchor first

Paul, agree with the others in that a second anchor is a bit of a waste. I bought one 10 yrs ago and have never used it. However, what I have done with every boat that I've purchased is to upgrade the main anchor, if possible. Most boat manufacturers specify the smallest anchor and shortest chain that they can in order to save a few pennies. If you look at anchor specifications you'll see a reccomended range of boat length for each anchor size but given that most motor boats have a high windage compared to yachts, I think its wise to go to a size bigger than reccomended, providing you have a bow roller that will handle it. You also need to look at the length of chain you've got because I've seen as little as 30m on 40' motor boats and thats not enough in areas with high tidal ranges eg Severn estuary, Channel Islands. IMHO I would suggest you need to have a minimum of 50m on a 40' boat

tcm

Visit site
Re: agreed: Upgrade the main anchor first

I agree with mike and cscott. I never used 2 anchors in UK, only used them occassionally in the med. Use second anchor to keeep boat pointing at waves overnight in med anchorages, but it is much rarer to stay out in UK. I have no spare anchor on 70foot boat . Long chain on one anchor much the best use of chain weight imho.

Col

Visit site

You need a fair bit of chain in the Med, 2ft of the land, and it's 9,000,000 mtrs deep

tcm

Visit site

There are indeed some monstrous numbers on the charts, such that almost every new season i find myself checking if it's feet - but it's always metres.