searching for a clock

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: GPS v UTC

Excellent site (and very fast loading too, given the animations). Very clear explanations in plain english of some fairly complex ideas.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk

I don't know the answer to this, although I could check if things are quiet tommorrow. However, GMT is also a 'real world' time frame so I would expect it to be aligned to UTC. In other words, it's going to be adjusted periodically. GMT is a British time frame so it's exact adjustment time (for leap seconds) may occur at differet intervals from UTC.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dk

Visit site
Peter

My Casio watch does just that using a 'split' stopwatch timer. You set the stopwatch using one button, then press another to 'stop' the clock and record the time. Pressing the original button takes you back to the 'still running' stopwatch. Does that make sense?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
Ok, have looked at these, the second one seems interesting I think. All clocks it appears that have world time function appear to have got clever and sync'd to rugby time signal, which I am afraid will also mean they will apply daylight saving time, which I do not want as everything 'should' be written for zulu.

>As it happens I wish companies making tide tables info would stick to GMT, some apply summertime some don't, gets very confusing<

My next question, can you override these auto time setting clocks?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>Homepage</A>

mldpt

Visit site
How about a windup kitchen clock simply fully wind it goes off in an hour, great for watch keeping, if you are on two hour watches it wakes the present watch up and he winds it again, I once had an Apple shaped one, I agree however that an automatic one would be great. Here is another question, we all know that white lights on instruments spoil our night vision, so why dont the manufacturers put red LED into them I have done this on some of my instruments they are great.
Mike www.sailingforfun.co.uk

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dyflin

Visit site

Taken from http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/UT.html

"However, in the most common civil usage, UT refers to a time scale called "Coordinated Universal Time" (abbreviated UTC), which is the basis for the worldwide system of civil time. This time scale is kept by time laboratories around the world, including the U.S. Naval Observatory, and is determined using highly precise atomic clocks. The International Bureau of Weights and Measures makes use of data from the timing laboratories to provide the international standard UTC which is accurate to approximately a nanosecond (billionth of a second) per day. The length of a UTC second is defined in terms of an atomic transition of the element cesium under specific conditions, and is not directly related to any astronomical phenomena."

"Historical Note
Greenwich Mean Time is a widely used historical term, but one that has been used in several ways. Because of the ambiguity, its use is no longer recommended in technical contexts.

Prior to 1925, in astronomical and nautical almanacs, a day of Greenwich Mean Time began at noon. This reckoning of Greenwich Mean Time is now called Greenwich Mean Astronomical Time, and is no longer used. Persons using old editions of the almanacs for historical research should be aware of the previous convention."

~Dyflin

<hr width=100% size=1>Well it's all for me grog, me jolly jolly grog!