Seamaster 23 vs leisure 23

mike_1987

Visit site
That's not correct. The Leisure 23 has a different hull to the Leisure 22 - said to be a significant improvement on the 22's hull.

The Leisure 23 hull was designed to accept the deck/cabin moulding from the 22, and so the upper parts of the earlier (non-SL) Leisure 23 looks the same as the 22, but the hull doesn't.

Having established the Leisure 23, a new, more modern looking top was designed for the same hull - that was designated the Leisure 23SL.

Purchasers of the non-SL 23s should beware that Leisure 22s are sometimes erroneously labelled Leisure 23s.
Shy of taking a tape measure how would one spot the difference between the 22 and the 23?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Shy of taking a tape measure how would one spot the difference between the 22 and the 23?

Most obvious is the slope of the transom - slopes inward on the 22, and outward on the 23.

I've edited my previous post to note that and add some pics.

I am not saying that one could not have a whole lot of fun and adventure in a Leisure 22, but the hull of the Leisure 23 and 23SL has been said in reviews to be a marked improvement, and with that and being a bit more recent may attract a slightly higher price all other things being equal (which they never are!). I have only sailed a 23SL, and that was a long time ago, so I am not in a position to compare performance.

I imagine there's a lot of info available on the Leisure Owners' website.

TC Tuckton

Visit site
There is a tidy 1977 Centaur afloat in Christchurch about to come on the market for 5k. Original MD11C engine but well maintained and runs without problems.

peteK

Visit site
The Leisure 22 was designed by Graham Caddick with a 43%ballast ratio whilst the 23 the designer was Frank Pryor with a 48%ballast ratio,the way to tell them apart is that on the 22 the main sheet is taken to the stern and has a longer boom whilst on the 23 its taken to the bridgedeck,also the 22 has a vertical stern whist the 23 is sloping.There are other differences notable the keels are different shape and slightly bigger on the 23.

greggron

Visit site
That's not correct. The Leisure 23 has a different hull to the Leisure 22 - said to be a significant improvement on the 22's hull.

The Leisure 23 hull was designed to accept the deck/cabin moulding from the 22, and so the upper parts of the earlier (non-SL) Leisure 23 looks the same as the 22, but the hull doesn't (most obvious is the direction of the slope of the transom).

Having established the Leisure 23, a new, more modern looking top was designed for the same 23 hull - that was designated the Leisure 23 SL
View attachment 116203

Leisure 23
View attachment 116202
View attachment 116201

Leisure 23SL
View attachment 116199
View attachment 116204
Thank you. I am aware of the difference and the history, but I do not believe that change would make it materially better to windward with bilge keels. Happy to be corrected.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Thank you. I am aware of the difference and the history, but I do not believe that change would make it materially better to windward with bilge keels. Happy to be corrected.

I am not in a position to judge, but according to Practical Boat Owner's 'Which Boat':
'While Cobramold always produced tough, well made family cruisers, the rather stodgy [Leisure] 22 was, in many ways, a poor stablemate for the exceptional Leisure 17.

. . . they asked Frank Pryor to design a larger, more efficient hull which would . . . afford better all round performance. [Stylishness was compromised by the need to mate with the existing hull/deck mouldings] but in every other way the 'new' Leisure [23] was an unqualified success. Just as well made as the earlier boat, she offered more room and was a much better sailing boat. . . a greatly under-rated design. . . stiff, stable and well-balanced. . . predictable handling characteristics even when the going gets rough. . .'

greggron

Visit site
I am not in a position to judge, but according to Practical Boat Owner's 'Which Boat':
'While Cobramold always produced tough, well made family cruisers, the rather stodgy [Leisure] 22 was, in many ways, a poor stablemate for the exceptional Leisure 17.

. . . they asked Frank Pryor to design a larger, more efficient hull which would . . . afford better all round performance. [Stylishness was compromised by the need to mate with the existing hull/deck mouldings] but in every other way the 'new' Leisure [23] was an unqualified success. Just as well made as the earlier boat, she offered more room and was a much better sailing boat. . . a greatly under-rated design. . . stiff, stable and well-balanced. . . predictable handling characteristics even when the going gets rough. . .'
I had an L17 too, a great little ship.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Our first yacht was a Leisure 17 superb little boat, many of them are still around, we occasionally used to do the Christchurch - Cherbourg crossing in it.
We collected it from Cobramold at Stanstead airport, where they were operating from a couple of old Nissan huts.
Spent an interesting 1/2 hour with Arthur Howard (the designer) at the London Boat show where he pointed out that Cobramold had ignored his advice to bring the mast astern by about 6", which he said would have improved the performance.

Stemar

Visit site
It depends on the kind of sailing you do, but a Snapdragon might fit the bill. Not the quickest to windward, nor close winded, but a tough little boat that will surprise bigger boats once the wind goes aft of the beam. Separate heads and surprisingly good accommodation for the size. For Poole Harbour, the shallow draft is a major asset.

Kelpie

Visit site
Maybe throw a Pageant in to the mix as well?

Tbh it's no bad thing to have two boats to decide between. Consider both seriously and critically, and choose the one that turns out to be in best condition, or whoever drops their price the most.

When we were last in the market, we lined up four boats to view on the same weekend. One sold before we could get there, two turned out to be lemons, and the one which had been lowest on the list turned out to be in better condition than expected and accepted our offer.

mike_1987

Visit site
So having spent a few hours on the leisure today I’ve put an offer in on the seamaster
A few reasons that swung it were the engine (leisure had an outboard) and the proper toilet in the seamaster
Having had caravans with portaloos in them I really don’t fancy chucking that over the side ?
Massive thanks to everyone who has helped I appreciate all the input no doubt I’ll be back on here over the coming weeks trying to figure out exactly what I’ve broken

mike_1987

Visit site
Maybe throw a Pageant in to the mix as well?

Tbh it's no bad thing to have two boats to decide between. Consider both seriously and critically, and choose the one that turns out to be in best condition, or whoever drops their price the most.

When we were last in the market, we lined up four boats to view on the same weekend. One sold before we could get there, two turned out to be lemons, and the one which had been lowest on the list turned out to be in better condition than expected and accepted our offer.
Wifey wasn’t a fan of the pageant we went to view
The garish paint job the owner had done (badly) on the inside probably didn’t help mind

38mess

Visit site
So having spent a few hours on the leisure today I’ve put an offer in on the seamaster
A few reasons that swung it were the engine (leisure had an outboard) and the proper toilet in the seamaster
Having had caravans with portaloos in them I really don’t fancy chucking that over the side ?
Massive thanks to everyone who has helped I appreciate all the input no doubt I’ll be back on here over the coming weeks trying to figure out exactly what I’ve broken
The two best times in boating, when you buy it, and when you sell it.?
Enjoy it, they are great little boats.

mike_1987

Visit site
The two best times in boating, when you buy it, and when you sell it.?
Enjoy it, they are great little boats.
Everyone tells me that I’ll find out tomorrow when I part with the cash
Although I’m Yorkshire born so the thought of handing money over may well keep me up all night