Sealine S37 KAD44EDC Batteries

ian38_39

Visit site
Does anyone happen to know the size of the batteries AH And Dimensions, for a Sealing S37 with KAD44 EDC engines.
I have a one and four arrangement.
Unfortunately, I lost the piece of paper with the info on.

Many thanks, Ian

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Just to complicate and confuse.
Sealine fitted all leisure batteries. From comments on this forum some manufacturers fit all cranking (I call them) batteries.
The yard in Spain replaces all mine in 2021 and I found out later they fitted all cranking batteries, which to be honest were fine.
To answer your question for me with an S37 with KAD43’s they fitted five Varta i9’s
Check the terminal positions though. Get it wrong and you have a load of wire reconfiguration to do
I9 VARTA PROMOTIVE Battery 12V 120Ah 620047078 663

As an aside, batteries seem to last me 6 years

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
There is very little difference between cranking and leisure batteries. Generally speaking, "Leisure" and "Marine" batteries are cranking batteries with some extra plate support.

With Lithium prices getting ever cheaper it's starting to make sense to consider those if batteries need replacing, depending on boat and usage pattern, of course.

ian38_39

Visit site
There is very little difference between cranking and leisure batteries. Generally speaking, "Leisure" and "Marine" batteries are cranking batteries with some extra plate support.

With Lithium prices getting ever cheaper it's starting to make sense to consider those if batteries need replacing, depending on boat and usage pattern, of course.
That would worry me are lithium batteries and water really a sensable option?

Momac

Visit site
That would worry me are lithium batteries and water really a sensable option?
I understand
Its not a simple matter of fitting lithium batteries
Lithium batteries may not be used for engine cranking
Lithium batteries may not be charged direct by an alternator

Someone will correct me if I am wrong

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I understand
Its not a simple matter of fitting lithium batteries
Lithium batteries may not be used for engine cranking
Lithium batteries may not be charged direct by an alternator

Someone will correct me if I am wrong
You're kind of wrong.

Lithium can be used for engine cranking, provided enough power and a BMS that carries sufficient current.

Alternator charging depends on the alternator and how it's connected, but you're generally correct on this point, in typical cases.

That said, i would not fit Lithium as starter batteries. Use them as domestics and stick to LA for starting.

Momac

Visit site
You're kind of wrong.

Lithium can be used for engine cranking, provided enough power and a BMS that carries sufficient current.

Alternator charging depends on the alternator and how it's connected, but you're generally correct on this point, in typical cases.

That said, i would not fit Lithium as starter batteries. Use them as domestics and stick to LA for starting.
Be aware that on my Sealine the port engine has a dedicated starter battery and the starboard engine starts from the domestic bank.
The two banks can be linked together if required should the domestic bank be too low to start the starboard engine.
Perhaps the S37 is similar.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Be aware that on my Sealine the port engine has a dedicated starter battery and the starboard engine starts from the domestic bank.
The two banks can be linked together if required should the domestic bank be too low to start the starboard engine.
Perhaps the S37 is similar.
Yes, i've seen those systems before, i'd prefer to have dedicated engine batteries. Obviously wouldn't fit Lithium domestic batteries to such a system.

SC35

Visit site

Other threads that may be of interest