Sealine 305 Statesman - Opinions/Advise?

alt

Visit site
http://www.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=58335

Just spotted the above. I realise she's 18 years old soon, but i'm about to put an offer on a sports cruiser. I'm thinking 'Why not go back a few years and buy something with more space'

Has anyone got a general opinion on the Sealine 305 hull? As far as things working etc. that'll be up to the surveyor to spot out and advise me on, i'm just after a general opinion/history/goods/bads of the above boat

Would be grateful if you educated lot could let me know, i'd like to go view this boat next week and if im happy i'll send a surveyor up

halcyon

Visit site
My favorite boat, later models were not as nice inside, or I prefer that colour / finish. Faults when built were few, if there are water leaks, they will be around the top of the patio door, or the rear saloon corners from the radar hoop. Any problems with the switchgear or battery charging side we can sort out, or any questions ask.

Brian

alt

Visit site
Excellent stuff, didn't expect to hear someone speak so highly. If I call up i'd want to check all the seals by hosing around windows/doors etc. etc.

I've never had a boat older than 5/6 years old, this would be going down the years quite a bit, what should I be looking for?

Electrics I can handle - Oul man is a sparky and to be honest i'd plan on doing the major re-wiring over the winter months

halcyon

Visit site
I have not come across any problems with the wiring on them, going back to models made in 1984. The boats were built with looms, and wired for all equipment, ie radar, cabin heating etc and full AC mains. I think you will find the electrics are the least of your problems. Also to rewire it will be a major undertaking, it's not like a simple sports boat.
We had a panel back to check out the other day from a 305 built around 1990, and it was good internally as the day we made it.
If you want to know more about what is fitted, or how the charging system works let me know.

Brian

Alrob

Visit site
we fancy changing to a 330/F33 but cant be assed selling current boat then shopping around for suitable replacement - so will probably never happen - - - shame really /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

alt

Visit site
Thanks for the info jez - will PM him tomorrow evening, going on beer now and get to bring a Canchi 34 into winterage tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

alrob - Have you a 305?

Alrob

Visit site
no I have a 285 bayliner so a 305 would not be a hugh leap for me - hence the desire for 330/F33

ianduff

Visit site
We have owned a Sealine 305 since new and nothing has fallen off or broken. They are a bit thin and flimsy (you get what you pay for!) but offer excellent value and accomodation. If driven too quickly into a head sea the ride is very harsh and likely to cause stress cracks along the spray rails underneath the fuel tanks. In my view the best engines are AD41s, otherwise look at V8/6 petrols. I went in a 305 with the AQAD31s and, compared to our 305 with V8 petrols the 4 cylinder diesels were horrible. The AD41s are much noisier than the V8 petrols but, unlike the 31s, do not cause everything to vibrate and rattle.

alt

Visit site
ISIS7 - I don't suppose there'd be any chance of seeing some pics? I know each boat is different but i'd like to get a 'feel for the boat - If so i'll PM you my e-mail address

Sneddon - Could you imagine running twin V8's ... the sound would be lovely though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RogerRat

Visit site
So true, I did but mine was twin petrol! not such a good idea really. I thought the 305 gave very good value for money, very roomy and a nice 6 seater flybridge, not bad when considering they're only 30'.

I didn't think much of it's sea keeping with regards to crossing wake, especially if it came up from a quarter, as the boat tipped it felt like it grabbed a rail and steered off with a mind of its own, of course it soon recovered but a bit worrying when first experienced.

The interior and layout of the one you're looking at looks nice in the pics, but I would say that is top money for a boat 17 years old. The engines may still be fine if they're running but watch out for the legs, power trims and lock down devices plus the obvious like exhaust manifilds etc. but your surveyor will know better I'm sure.

Good luck though, hope you get a deal together. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

alt

Visit site
RogerRat - As I said before, I could be going crazy. The girliefriend reckons im mad, too young for a flybridge etc. etc. but I like to spend most summer weekends on the boat. Can't beat waking up with a bit of comfort. I currently have a 25ft sports cruiser which is fine but cramped. A flybridge would be a total luxury. I really don't want anything bigger than a 30ft boat.

As you say, a 17 year old boat, things could be ageing. I'm no expert, i'm going to go for a look myself and if I like what I see then it's time to pay a surveyor to give her a good look. I currently have a 290 DP outdrive myself and from what i've read they're pretty good drives - I wonder how good 17 year old ones are.

Again RogerRat, if you have any pictures of your boat i'd love to see them

dalex

Visit site
I have one. I'd take a good look at the fuel tanks. If still steel, this age they will probably show signs of corrosion. Mine dissolved from the insides and ended up blocking the fuel filters. Flybridge helm seat is rubbish and I changged it out for 3 separate seats which can rotate 360 degrees. Watch the join between the flybridge console and the upper moulding. Mine came apart at this seam. I have plenty of photos if required. AD41's have been pretty faultless but I had some gear selection probs due to a faulty dual-station unit and a bent cable.

Just as a PS - mine blows around like a paper bag at mooring speeds - any 30ft flybridge with so little in the water will do so due to the great windage to water footprint. It helps berthing to remove all the canvas. Besides, you can see a bit better from up top as well with it all off!

Sneds

Visit site
Sneddon - Could you imagine running twin V8's ... the sound would be lovely though

Sure it would sound great, and go like stink aswell?

ianduff

Visit site
I am sorry I can't send any photographs because I don't have a digital camera, however, the interior of our boat is the same as that of the one that you are interested in. I should have made clear in my original posting that the 'no bits dropping off' etc referred to the boat and not the engines and outdrives. You need to have these checked over and to find out what & why the engines and outdrives were 'rebuild'. Good comments from dalex about being blown about like a paper bag! I fitted a bow thruster. The fuel tanks on our boat are aluminium. Yes, the V8 petrols work very nicely and are smooth and quite but they do guzzle petrol (our average is 1.65mpg). On the other hand they are GM small block engines and are very simple to maintain and mend without the need to pay rip off Volvo prices for parts so the overall 'cost of ownership' will probably be little more for petrol than diesel once red goes.

RogerRat

Visit site
Yes I have a few pictures. The point about being blown around at berthing is not that bad, of course there is a lot of windage but they are no worse than any other. I found her easy to berth if the engines kept running, as the 305 is only 30' I don't think a bow thruster is that important.

I found mine very prone to stalling and always at the worst moment! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Here are some pics... Apologies for limited selection and the use of a phone as a camera but they give you an idea.

Photo-OceanDriveDistance.jpg

Photo-OceanDriveinrearcockpit.jpg

Photo-OceanDriveFly-Bridge.jpg

Photo-OceanDriveDownonrearQtr.jpg

TRH

Visit site
Hi a very good all round boat,You will find stress cracks in places. Performs well with the AQAD41 engines.I have replaced the wires round the deck with S/S rails makes me feel safe on deck,also fitted a bow thruster.Down side not much space to work on engines,and tanks thats if your a DIY man.I think the design and layout is ageless

alt

Visit site
Thanks for all the advise guys. I viewed a 1990 305 today.

She is quite a lot of boat, I absolutily loved it. However seeing it in the flesh made me think 'Not yet' ... not yet in the sense that i'm too young and just don't need that type of boat yet. For the time being i'm going to stick with my sports cruisers.

Maybe in a few years when I get lazy i'll buy a flybridge. I have to say that the particular boat I viewed was immac. It was obvious she was well cared for and the owner takes pride in his boat. Everything was in working order, upholstry re-done in 2003 and looked like new