sealine 218

G

Does anyone have any idea of the top and cruising speed of a Sealine 218 with Volvo 146 petrol engine in . And any comparisons with the speed of the 205 engine fitted in these. Thanks alot

G

A friend of mine has a 1987. When new it did 30kts and cruised at 22kts. These days with a lot of cruising gear,tender and at least 3 kitchen sinks he tops out at 26kts with cruising of 16 to 18kts. He is perfectly happy with the boat which he uses for a combination of coastal and river work (last year we did 500miles in a week Solent-Poole-Channel Islands-Cherbourg and back to the Solent and it coped with no problems)For more info his boat was featured in a test of time in MBM about 12 months ago.Hope this helps.

G

I think the boat you are refering to has a Volvo 171 not a 146, the artical said it needed a special technique to get on the plane, where the wife went forward until the boat was planing , then returned to the cockpit. I think a 218 with a Volvo 146 will be struggling to get on the plane at all if heavily laden.

G

It's definately advertised with the smaller 146 engine and I thought it might struggle too.

G

I would keep looking for one with a bigger engine, unless you intend to trail the boat,a smaller engine will make the boat lighter. Or if you intend to use it on rivers a lot, where the power is not important.

Happy hunting.

G

Thanks, We do intend to trail her but definately want the performance so are going to keep looking for the 205 engine model