Sealine 218 back in water, test run not good

yankeebloke

Visit site
Just took the boat out testerday after being laid up for winter.

Right trim tab not responding..........................:(

Fuel guage goes from full to empty, and all over the place.......................:eek:

battery charging indicator not lighting up, so dont know if batteries are charging or not when plugging into shore power or while motoring.........:mad:

really wish i understood the split charging system, must do some studying, i think its just the disply signal thats not working and that charging is actually happening.

No idea why the trim tab has packed up, all was well before it was lifted out, cant hear the motor going when i try to move it, can hear the left side, so motor gone or electrics again, either not great as i am back in the water:(

as for guage, will try taking panel out and checking there, but dont have a clue what to do if the problem is on the tank side

ideas anyone???

rosssavage

Visit site
Used to have a S255 - very similar systems to yours. I had a trim tab failure, turned out to be the motor.

Test by removing the control panel and swapping the wires over from left to right. If the fault swaps sides its the panel, if it stays the same its the tab motor.

The tab actuator can be changed with the boat afloat (I've done it...) as the wiring connections are in the engine space. You'll need to moor up somewhere where you are chest deep in water and get under the bathing platform with a #2 pozidrive screwdriver, 10mm spanner and some pliers. Undo the relevant bits, pull the wire through the hull (disconnect inside, obviously...!) and swap over. It's a bit fiddly undoing the nuts on the tab underwater, but doable, and cheaper than a lift!

Hint: Tie some string to the spanner etc.. so when they slip out of your hand underwater you don't lose them.... Again, learned the hard way ;)

If it's the actuator, best to replace than try and repair it. All the failed ones I've seen had failed due water ingress and are usually well knackered.

Remeber to change the bellows with every lift out to prevent it happening again.

yankeebloke

Visit site
Thanks for that, i will investigate the tabs later in the week, i have a sneaky suspicion i will be getting wet :(

anyone with the split carging system experience?

Jim@sea

Visit site
Sounds like you have water in the electrics somewhere. I would WD40 everything and in the meantime disconnect the trim tab wire from the fuse board.