Seagull oil/fuel mixture

Burnham_Bob

Visit site
I have just acquired a Seagull in quite good condition. The tank says one to ten oil/fuel ratio, but a friend says they run better on less oil. Anyone else got any experience? I have a Johnson which runs on 100 to 1, so 10 to 1 does seem excessive.

paulrossall

Visit site
If you do a search on this forum you will find that this subject was discussed sometime during the last month or two. (It might be slightly longer). Alternatively do a search on my postings as I did post a message. The replies were good but I cannot remember exactly what I said as I must have had a nightcap, as I normally do!

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Originally these motors ran on 10:1 but most have noe been converted to (I think) 25:1 by fitting a retrofit carb needle kit.. Basically it takes advantage of new type oils and I did this on my old Seagull..Much improved it in many ways... it need it!!

It think the Seagull people live down Poole way

Regds Nick

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
I have a very old Seagull and it runs at 25:1. Even at that ratio the petrol (and every part of the engine) seems very oily. I am considering retiring it though and changing to a 4-stroke because I am concerned about all the oil it throws out into a sensitive area with a large colony of seals living nearby.

dickh

Visit site
As before, they can be converted easily to run on 20:1 or was it 25:1?. Go to the website www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk this guy knows all about seagulls and is very helpful. (but I still can't get my old seagull to run properly, new plug, plenty of spark, new fuel - starts OK and runs well but try again the next day and the B******* won't start!!) Good Luck !!

schilde

Visit site
I rang Seagull (sorry I don't still have the number) and from the serial number they were able to tell me the date of my engine, and how to tell if it had been converted to 25:1 (the needle in the carb is different). It hadn't been changed, so I did it, which was really easy, and the engine runs fine. However, I have gradually discovered that it is heavy, noisy, very low powered and spills oily drips. Once in Newton Creek we were coming down against wind and tide, with the Seagull full bore, and having to row as well to keep moving. People in other dinghies were offering me a tow. (yes folks that was me). When the fuel ran out it hardly made any difference except it was much quieter. The best thing I did was to buy a Mercury3.5 from the boat show. If anyone wants to buy a Seagull Forty+ I still have it. 1.5 horse power. Actually it would be ok on a rigid pointed rowing boat or something, not our big blowup.

Steve
Plymouth