Seago Liferafts

celtic_mist

Visit site
Hi All,
I Am Thinking Of Buying A Seago Offshore Liferaft & Am Wondering Has Anyone Got Any Feedback On These ? (Good Or Bad )
I Found A Place On The Net (Quaywest Marine .co.uk ) That Has The 4 man Container Model For £550 . Sounds Like Good Value . This Particular Model Came Up Top In The Recent PBO Liferaft Test
Any Feed Back Would Be Greatly Appreciated
Thanks ( By The Way , I Have Nothing To Do With The Company Mentioned Above )

bendyone

Visit site
Very hard to say, I got one last year but have not used it yet /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I guess you get what you pay for, if you sailing is fairly coastal they should be OK - better than not having one.

steverow

Visit site
Ive got a six man canister with cradle which I got from Mailspeed marine.
It seems to have come out top in the last couple of PBO tests of the cheaper models.
If you want to do the job properly then go for a Viking Self righting L/R but that will be over double what you have been quoted for your 4 man seago.
It's definitely one of these things where you pays yer money and takes yer choice.
Ultimately what value do you put on your life?
Evaluation of these things is really difficult because how many of us have actually used one??.
We can only go on things like magazine tests to guide us.
Pay the £550 and hope and pray you never have to use it.

bobgoode

Visit site
Made a careful study at the boat show and then purchased one. Of the budget models it is definately better constructed...mitred corners rather than folded etc. I remain unconvinced that the expensive ones are that much better but like all insurance policies..you only find out how good they are when the worst happens.

Kawasaki

Visit site
PBO Article May 07.
Seago Liferafts---"Best on Test".
Tested.
Xm,Plastimar and Seago.
XM , Inflation prob ,which They retro answered.
Plastimar, hard to board from the water.
The main criticism of these cheap end Life Rafts seemed to be the lack of reflective tape or such like on thier undersides.

FullCircle

Visit site
Echo the other comments. I looked at all of the 'budget' rafts, and have bought the Seago due to the thought gone into the construction, and the quality of materials. I also have a grab bag with all the other loose items needed that come with an ISAF raft. Collected at jumbles, ebay, boats and outboards, these extras came to about 150 quid. This has an advantage in that they do not form part of the weight and bulk when launching, but on the other hand, you may 'forget' to pick it up in your haste.
I think its very good value for money.
Also has been **tested** in the Irish sea for several days in anger......

gimmesunshine

Visit site
I spoke to a liferaft service guy and he said they were amongst the worst made he had come across, they are a kin to beach lillos were his words. And he doesnt sell any brands so shouldnt be biased.

celtic_mist

Visit site
Thanks Lads,
Glad To Hear From People Who Have Them .
There Is So Much Choice & They All Look The Same To Me !
Think I Will Go Ahead & Place My Order For A Seago!

DAKA

Visit site
I bought one from Lymington Force 4 , 2 years ago.
Have a thermal floor which is better than nothing.

BUT

Mine has developed a petty but possibly fatal fault and Seago do not respond.

the string snapped that holds it together and the string breaking strain is critical

Too strong and the liferaft will not open.
too weak and the liferaft will fall apart before you launch it

Another tony Chaplin style company I fear

DAKA

Visit site
Seago have just telephoned me and have agreed to post me a bit of string. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry to post on this old thread but just in case anyone reads this after a search.

DAKA

Visit site
I was about to pm you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What ever you do dont pick up the life raft by the straps (the ones that look like carry straps).

Apparently they are not carry straps at all /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DAKA

Visit site
The basic seago range do have an insulated floor but it is not as good as an inflatable floor but only the far more expensive ones have these. over £1000