Seafire over Harwich today

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
Was pottering about today at the confluence of the Stour and Orwell when a jet flew over which I identified as a Vampire. No, says my crew, that's a Seafire. He spoke with some authority having been in the RAF years ago when such planes were commonplace.
Anyone else see it?

Sheff

Visit site
There was a Sea Vixen which had a similar outline to the Vampire. He may have meant that plane and said Seafire by mistake.

nortada

Visit site
Was pottering about today at the confluence of the Stour and Orwell when a jet flew over which I identified as a Vampire. No, says my crew, that's a Seafire. He spoke with some authority having been in the RAF years ago when such planes were commonplace.
Anyone else see it?

Glad your crew wasn't in The Observer Corps‼️

Visit site
I am in deep admiration of anyone who can identify a Seafire in the air vs. a Spitfire - that is truly a mighty ability, but confusing either with a Vampire of all things is surely the diametric opposite! One is like discriminating between the same model of diesel and petrol car from 200m and the other a bit like confusing a train with a bus.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Shirley, I imagine that a Seafire would be painted in Fleet Air Arm livery and look somewhat different to a reasonably keen-eyed observer.

I came across this picture I took at Shuttleworth yonks ago, probably 1979. One of them is a Vampire.

57%20copy.jpg

Stork_III

Visit site
I am in deep admiration of anyone who can identify a Seafire in the air vs. a Spitfire - that is truly a mighty ability, but confusing either with a Vampire of all things is surely the diametric opposite! One is like discriminating between the same model of diesel and petrol car from 200m and the other a bit like confusing a train with a bus.

Easy to identify the wings (and tail rudder) on the Seafire are different. ;)

Seafire_F_XVII_SX_336_wings_up.jpg

Other threads that may be of interest