Seafarer transducer

Sniper

Visit site
Does anyone know of a reliable method of testing these with the boat in the water? I've got a horrible feeling that mine has been squashed again by the yard when they launched the boat (or took it out) Readings are very erratic and I can't get a very wide neon band displayed on the sounder, even with the gain turned right up. At other times, I get a scattering of echoes all round the dial. The transducer is mounted through hull on a wooden boat. Any help/opinion appreciated.

G

I had a problem with what I thought was the transducer on my old seafarer. The circular readout was very unclear but after I eventually found where the transducer was placed against the inside of the hull, I discovered that the gel or oil underneath the transducer probe had leaked out. It worked perfectly after filling the rervoir up with cooking oil and sealing it off again! I also found a fully working old Seafarer a couple of years ago for about 20 pounds which I do not think is unrepresentative of 2nd hand price.

G

I t sounds like you have a bad connection,check the coaxial to the transducer,also beg borrow or steal another tranducer hang it over the side with about 10 ft.of water under you and see the result.If all is normal change the transducer.These old seafarers work on the principal of a magnet passing a coil which ganerates a pulse which is amplified and emmitted from the transducer,this pulse also lights a neon,when the pulse hits an object it is reflected back to the transducer.Since the time taken for sound to travel un water is known.1500 metres/sec and the revolving arm is syncronised to that speed a pulse will light the neon to indicate the depth.

double trouble