Sea toilets

G

I want to disable the sea toilet on my Cruisers International 224 Holiday and put a porta potti in instaed...but still retain fittings to easily put sea toilet back in. Thought of a plinth over existings fittings?
What can I safely remove?
Also..anybody recommend Samurai Diesel engine converters based in Seaton, Devon?

muchy_

Visit site
Have you ever had to empty a porta potti? JESUS man what the hell would you want to take a sea toilet out for and replace it with one of those.
I think porta potties were invented by women, just another way to s**t on you again.

G

Well mainly 'cos you can't empty bog into River Severn...most of my boating is on Severn.

G

Oh come on...I'm desperate!!! What if said wife wants to 'go' just outside Tewkesbury??

G

Have you got space to put a tank in? Then you could use the same sea toilet and flush water inlet, but plumb the outlet to the tank and pump out ashore. You could also rig the tank plumbing so that you can pump out to "sea" when permissible through the existing skin fitting. Don't forget that the tank will need a vent and there are various nuances that can make a big difference to the success of the job. Talk to Lee sanitation (www.leesan........)

G

Good idea but..far too expensive..limited room..would cut down on storage too much. Thanks

BarryD

Visit site
We had a porta potty on the last boat, it was also plumbed in so that it could be hand pumped out of a skin fitting. Seemed to work well, but we only had the boat for a short time so I can't vouch for its effectiveness - the hand pump worked fine though.

The semantic is "Are we insured..." NOT "Were we insured"
(IMHO, BTW FWIW and NWGOI)

ccscott49

Visit site
If you are intent on doing this, IMHO, I would close the seacocks, remove the hoses and hose fittings, put blanking caps on the sea cocks and wire the handles shut. Don't forget to periodically check the through hulls and seacocks, (operating the handles aswell), for corrosion etc, just as you would if they were operational. A plinth sounds like a good idea, to get the correct sitting height.

G

Thank you everybody so far...Would you make the blanking caps or can you buy them??

Freebee

Visit site
This questions come up once before and I advocated blanking caps, but i think the outcome that time was that the skin fittings can deteriorate overtime and if blanked you will notice the corrosion untils its too late. Maybe blanking is a shortterm solution until you can do something more permanent!