thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
anyone know if this is worth buying and watching

51GH83VBQCL._SS500_.jpg

seen it on ebay and amazon and wondered if worth purchasing

byron

RIP
Visit site
Not seen it myself but if its cheap and cheerful forgo a couple of pints and buy it. Then put it away for your Grandchildren's children who will one day have a fascinating look into the past.

Chris_d

Visit site
I missed this when it was on TV, so I guess I can't really comment. But I remember when it was on some peeps commented that its seemed a bit anti pleasure boats and generaly disappointing from a boaters perspective.

Can you buy it and do a review for us /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

1yppah

I had a copy, not sure where it is otherwise you could have had it!

I thought it was good, the guy a former news reader presented well (although it was set up) and basically did as the title suggests. Great to see lots of snippets that you recognize and there are a couple of bits I learnt.

All in all a good Sunday afternoon DVD, not a blockbuster but if you enjoy the Thames you will enjoy this.

apollo

Visit site
Saw it on the telly, was ok but nothing to write home about.

He took a few large "leaps" from one part of the river to another and in my opinion ended up missing the best parts.

1yppah

I also enjoyed the three men in a boat 1 hour job with Giff Ryece Jones (or however you spell it!) not sure if its out but highly amusing particularly when they ate the crayfish freshly fished form Cookham (I think)

1yppah

Oh and I may be wrong but I think the British Marine Fed / National Boat Shows had a few copies, try them on 01784 223600 they had a few of these left over from a promotion at LBS

apollo

Visit site
I also enjoyed three men in a boat, was a much better program.

And it still embarasses Mike Gates that the p!ssheads on the cruiser were from Bray Marina - Ooops, just mentioned it again!!

(But the crayfish were from just above Abingdon.)

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I also enjoyed three men in a boat, was a much better program.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was really disappointing - 3 silly old buggers with the possible exception of Rees Jones.

We got to see very little of the river itself or of any boats - a really missed opportunity.

Just my minor meldrewesque view, you understand......

apollo

Visit site
Jeez tone, you are miserable wotsit sometimes!

Admittedly they did go up to Pangbourne/Goring reach one minute, then they were back down in Shiplake again the next as if by magic.

But perhaps we are being a bit anorakesque?

OK, own up - who has been in the church at Abingdon to see the mural of the bloke with 99 kids?

DWT

Visit site
I thought the three men in a boat programme was pretty good. The best bit for me was when they tried to get an angler to wave to them. He just kept his head down and ignored them a bit like a naughty child not wanting to catch the eye of their parents.

It reminded me when we first started boating on the Thames. My wife used to wave brightly at everybody in sight and could never understand why the anglers just would not acknowledge her.