Sea Anchors

timevans2000

Visit site
Has anybody actually ever used a sea anchor? I am not refering to a drogue towed behind your boat but a parachute device streamed from the bow in suvival conditions.
If so, was it a genuine sea anchor or a cargo chute. Is there any difference in performance?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
No I haven't but apparently there are mixed opinions. The main criticisms are that some hold too well and don't give sufficiently with the surges and, there again, that they can be difficult to recover. I think the Pardeys used one with a warp taken aft so that they could sheer to the wave direction which they felt left them less exposed.

There is another type which is like a series of mini chutes down a long warp which users say compensate for the above shortcomings.

The parachute type hung just under water can be good as a dampener on an anchor chain or as a flopper stoper hung amidships.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

timevans2000

Visit site
You seem to be confusing drogues with parachute anchors. Drogues are usually about 3 feet in diameter. The parachute anchor recommended for my boat is 15 feet. A parachute is design to stop the boat. A drogue is designed to slow a boat.

Series drogues are just a variation on a theme, ie slow the boat down.

Is there anybody out there who has actually used a parachute and has real experience/recommendations?

<hr width=100% size=1>

timevans2000

Visit site
I spoke to Alladins Cave. They want over £800 for a 15 ft sea anchor with 100 metres of stretchy nylon braided rode. It comes as a package. If you look on the army surpus web site that was suggested on this thread, you can pick up a cargo parachute anchor for less than $100 of the same size. You then need some rode. It looks loke you could make up your own system for a lot less money. My concern is would it work. I would not like to find out it is not up to the job in the hieght of a storm!!!

Anybody any relevant experience?

<hr width=100% size=1>

bluet36

Visit site
Can't find the army surplus site you refered to on this thread.

Been looking for an 8' BOURD for ages (if it's good enough for the Pardeys etc), even Para-anchor can't get hold of them anymore. Can you help?

<hr width=100% size=1>

DeeGee

Visit site
I think the parachutes referred to as BOURD are 'ordnance' parachutes, ie for dropping field-guns, jeeps etc. Rather a heavier load than this parachute which is for dropping a man. Strangely, I thought BOURD was a misprint, and that it is more properly BuOrd, which is the Ordnance Bureau in US terminology - but I have seen BOURD a number of times, is this just a replication of a mistake??
Hmmm, I have done some checking, and it looks like I was right, it is BuOrd, and a reference to the Pardeys using them, as well as the possibility of buying a 9ft one is to be found here: http://www.dddb.com/paratech2.html

<hr width=100% size=1>Black Sugar - the sweetest of all

bedouin

Visit site
There are lots of accounts of the stronger cargo-type parachutes working well as sea anchors - in fact purpose made ones seem to be a recent innovation - but the item in the link is not one of those. The item listed is a personnel parachute, much bigger and lighter weight. I think that would have as much chance of doing the job as your spinnaker.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Close hauled

Visit site
I've got a 15 foot Para Anchor etc as supplied in the UK by AladdinsCave. They're manufactured in Australia by the legendary Ablie McCraken who I spoke to when I was down there recently. They seem to be a lot more common down under and the author of Multihull Seamanship says don't leave home without one. The downside is that the kit is expensive.I pursueded myself that a F9 is not the time to go experimenting! When and if I use it (and survive) i'll let you know.

<hr width=100% size=1>

timevans2000

Visit site
This is the conclusion I am coming to. Few people have experience of using a sea anchor. I have not been able to find anybody who has used a cargo chute as a sea anchor. I dont want to be experimenting in a F9 either, just to find it didnt work properly! Looks like I will need a proper Para anchor and rode.

Anybody got a second hand 15 ft diameter one for sale?

<hr width=100% size=1>