Screwfix sealants

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I'm just looking through the screwfix catalogue for suitable sealants for bedding skin fittings. I'm confused, I don't really need an adhesive (especially if I ever want to remove the fitting in future) so what's wrong with a basic silicone sealant at £2.19 a pop?

Anthony

Visit site
The polysulphide works well when I have used it above the waterline, personally I would pay the £8 for the Sikaflex and sleep at night without worrying about it.

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The polysulphide works well when I have used it above the waterline, personally I would pay the £8 for the Sikaflex and sleep at night without worrying about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sikaflex should NOT be used on plastic fittings, especially below the waterline, for this purpose use Lifecaulk.
For any type of metal fittings I use Sikafles 291, which is actually easy enough to get off with a sharp blade when nesseccary.

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sikaflex should NOT be used on plastic fittings, especially below the waterline, for this purpose use Lifecaulk.
For any type of metal fittings I use Sikafles 291, which is actually easy enough to get off with a sharp blade when nesseccary.
Never ever use silicone below the waterline.

tobble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Sikaflex should NOT be used on plastic fittings, especially below the waterline

[/ QUOTE ]

could you expand on this please?

Sheff

Visit site
1) Don't use anything from Screwfix, it's not appropriate to marine use.

2) Don't use sikaflex 291, it's a glue, it bonds, like the proverbial to a blanket!......... you may want to remove what you're fixing.

As mentioned by some, you want a polysulphide sealant.......... just means it remains flexible over time and can be removed.

Flossdog

Visit site
Northshore have bedded my lifting keel grounding plate with silicon. No watertightness is needed and it seems OK after 8 years. Obviously it might need to come off and if they had used Sikaflex 291, well, it would never come off!