Scottish take on it

BrendanS

Visit site
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsarti...XML&src=rss

A tartan army of Scottish fans will be dancing to a Calypso beat on Thursday when arch enemies England line up to play Trinidad and Tobago in the World Cup in Germany.

Tesco Plc said on Wednesday that sales of rum, tropical fruit drinks and mangoes north of the English border have rocketed as Scottish fans prepare for Caribbean-themed World Cup parties.

Tesco stores in Scotland, which failed to qualify for the World Cup, have seen rum sales rise by nearly 15 percent.

"Since the tournament started, the biggest growth in Scotland has been in mangoes with a staggering 47 percent increase in sales in the past week alone," said Tesco spirits buyer Simon Dunn.

At the Walkabout pub in Edinburgh, run by Regent Inns Plc, a corporate client has booked a private Caribbean-themed party for up to 200 guests as well as 600 other drinkers.

"It is going to be a 70-30 split to Trinidad and Tobago," said the Walkabout's deputy manager Luke Westlake.

"I've walked into some of the local pubs up here that have just got Sweden, Trinidad and Tobago and Paraguay, no England flags. They are just supporting anyone who is playing England."

However, not all pubs are expecting to see England suffer from lack of support from Scottish fans who enjoy indulging in fierce rivalry with their larger neighbour south of the border.
"We tend to fill up to the max pretty quick with English supporters. There will be a stream of white (England soccer team) shirts I'd imagine," said James McKenzie, manager of the Peer Tree House near the city's university which can take up to 750 drinkers.

England's second group B match against Trinidad and Tobago, the tournament's smallest country, kicks off at 5 p.m. British time on Thursday in Nuremberg.

Trinidad and Tobago's 23-strong squad has six players from Scotland and will be captained by Dwight Yorke, the team's best-known player internationally. Yorke has won major honours during his career including the Champions League with Manchester United in 1999.

The question of who Scots should cheer on in the World Cup has sparked political controversy in Scotland and indignation among some English commentators.

Scotland's First Minister has said he will support countries such as Trinidad & Tobago rather than England, but London-based Scottish politicians have said it is natural to back England as the two nations are part of Britain.

Robin

Visit site
Hardly surprising though is it, all take and no give from north of the border. Down here we have tended to keep our thoughts more to ourselves but we have long memories and they should be wary of the saying 'what goes round comes round'. The massive upsurge of English Pride is as much a reaction to the constant diet of PC crap as to the success of our footie team ie don't tell us we mustn't offend by waving our St Georges flags, wearing our red/whites etc. The kraken awakes.

And let's not forget their own team was too poor to even qualify, yet as the article says the smallest country in the tournament, Trinidad and Tobago, has a team that qualified on merit and I believe it also said 6 of them play regularly in Scotland, it says it all really. Is it because anyone with any real skill or brains has long since left and moved south? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Come on England!

jimi

Visit site
This is a load of bollox, yet another media disinformation campaign based on actions of a few nutters.

I for one support any UK team and always have. MOst of my friends, with the odd exception, are similar.

This type of irresponsible reporting is likely to create real racial tension in the UK where none previously existed. In some ways I wonder if it is government propaganda to distract from the real problem of illegal immigration.

Rabbie

Visit site
What was that about the heat? ..............

The following is a joke. It is meant to make you smile a bit. There is no 'racial' intent in it whatsoever. Submitted by a Scot who, believe it or not, despite detesting modern football, would be happy to see England win and prove that Britain still has some sportsmen of some worth. But so far England have not filled me with enthusiasm.

Temperature Tolerance.

40 degrees - Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Scotland sunbathe.

35 degrees - Italian cars won't start. People in Scotland drive with the windows down.

20 degrees - Floridians wear coats, gloves, and wool hats. People in Scotland throw on shorts and a T-shirt.

15 degrees - Californians begin to evacuate the state. People in Scotland go swimming in the sea.

0 degrees - New York landlords turn the heat on. People in Scotland have a last barbi before it gets cold.

-10 degrees - People in Miami are extinct. People in Scotland lick flagpoles.

-20 degrees - Californians all now live in Mexico . People in Scotland throw on a light jacket.

-80 degrees - Polar bears begin to evacuate the Artic. Scottish Boy Scouts postpone winter survival exercise until it gets cold enough.

-100 degrees - Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. People in Scotland wear a vest and pull down their earflaps.

-173 degrees - Ethyl alcohol freezes. People in Scotland get angry 'cos they can't thaw their whisky.

-297 degrees - Microbial life starts to grind to a halt. Scottish cows complain of farmers with cold hands.

-460 degrees - ALL atomic motion stops. People in Scotland start saying, “A bit hill billy ... eh?”

-500 degrees - Hell freezes over. Scottish people support England in the World Cup.

BrendanS

Visit site
Scottish First Minister is a nut then? That figures

Along with the actions of a non - Welsh authoritarion higher level policeman in North Wales who wanted English flags on vehicles to be taken off, as it might increase racial tensions in North Wales - as mentioned here previously.

It's all a load of bollux. I yelled for Germany when they were playing England many years ago. Got a mouth full of crap from some, but those that were my friends took it in good nature, in manner in which it was intended, as they knew I had no interest in football.

They gave me enough crap when we watched rugby matches they saw it as equal measure, and all part of the fun.

It's only the very few that get heated about it all.

Though maybe it's me coming from a rugby playing and spectating background, we used to take the piss out of each other continually, but never any trouble.

bbg

Visit site
Does this mean the Scottish are officially neutral? They don't care who beats England!