Scilly Isles next week ?

eebygum

Visit site
Hi,
I’m planning on leaving Penzance for the Scilly Isles on Sunday with the current NE forecast; for a week to 10 days.

It’s going to be blowing easterly for most of that time.

Any other good recommendations for anchorage’s, particularly when the swell will be slightly higher later in the week ?

I’ve found this article which has a couple of ideas.

Anybody there at the moment and is it busy, or experience of how busy it might get next week for BH and half term.

I’m familiar with New/Old Grimsby Sound and St Mary’s which I’ve visited twice before.

Thanks I’m advance for any feedback.

Cheers,
Andrew
SHE 32C, SV Vivendi

Boathook

Visit site
@eebygum I suspect that any suitable anchorage will have boats there already. I've anchored off St Martins, out of the wind and I thought the swell, but the swell seemed to go round the headland and made the planned anchorage uncomfortable. Ended up anchoring elsewhere and drying out at LW which for my boat is fine.

KeithMD

Visit site
I've used one of the visitors buoys between St.Martin and Tean. It was good for a short visit and a walk to St.Martin's Vineyard and Adam's Fish & Chips.

Also between Tresco and Bryer, by the Fraggle Rock Bar.

andsarkit

Visit site
I've used one of the visitors buoys between St.Martin and Tean. It was good for a short visit and a walk to St.Martin's Vineyard and Adam's Fish & Chips.

Also between Tresco and Bryer, by the Fraggle Rock Bar.
I was at the St Martin's hotel in April and they no longer maintain any visitor buoys. There are a few local's buoys but not available for visitor use.

Supertramp

Visit site
Assuming you go, or have gone, can you post how it was (busy, anchoring, overcrowding, etc)? I will get there someday and informed opinions would be useful. And whether Navionics is accurate!

Boathook

Visit site
Assuming you go, or have gone, can you post how it was (busy, anchoring, overcrowding, etc)? I will get there someday and informed opinions would be useful. And whether Navionics is accurate!
I've found my navionics on a raymarine plotter very accurate for IoS. First time using it down there, went close to rocks at slow speed and the plotter matched what we saw.

eebygum

Visit site
Hi,
We sailed over from Penzance on Sunday in a brisk easterly F5/6/7 under reefed genoa only and decided to take the easy option through St Mary’s sound into St Mary where we have spent a glorious 3 days. Plenty of space on the mooring and in the anchorage. We managed to pick up some tickets for the Saturday performance of the Scilly Isles folk festival. Pubs are not crowded and able to sit outside on the Atlantic balcony everyday.

Quite a few French yachts in. We are moving over to New Grimsby tomorrow for Bryther and Tresco. Lots of shelter available in the prevailing easterlies…. Just hoping they abate in time for return in 10 days time.

owen

Visit site
webcam of St marys gives good picture if how busy it is. Otherwise St marys, Porthcressa, New Grimsby, Appletree bay off Tresco, Lower Town St Martins and if you are brave the west side of Bryher. Looks perfect for the outward journey at least.