Scillies to Roscoff - any tips for passage planning?

West Coast

Visit site
Hi all,

So planned trip to west of France is happening soon, leaving 28 May for 2 months. Have posted a few times over past months seeking advice which has been gratefully received!

I had originally thought of routing from Scillies direct to Brest (crew change in Brest) but having read other threads etc, decided that Scillies to Roscoff could be a better idea. Roscoff is a Port of Entry, and means that the timing of the trip round to Brest becomes easier, with some good stops on the way.

For those who have perhaps sailed this route, or know the areas well, any advice re the passage planning from Scillies to Roscoff? It does look straightforward, missing some of the major TSS areas, but advice welcome.

Cheers

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Brest is a port of entry so why go out of your way if you have to go to Brest anyway? Both are straight forward passages and it should be no problem to plan to arrive at the head of the Chenal du Four on a south going tide.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
Have made that run several times, very straightforward with the only proviso being that you should plan your arrival time to coincide with slack tide at Roscoff, it’s not a huge issue just makes life a little easier for berthing in the marina.
I plan on a 5 knot average so in theory it’s a just under a 24 hour trip, I would leave in the A.M. to arrive there with the whole day to settle in.
Once there if you plan to stay in France a while it would be worthwhile filling the wine cellar for the duration while in Roscoff, there were two large discount stores on the main approach road to Roscoff a bit of a walk to get to but they would deliver to the boat so you don’t need to carry your purchases and if they had the time would even give you a lift back to the boat. One is beside a big roundabout and the other is a bit further out called wine and beer supermarket.
wine beer roscoff winebeersupermarket.com

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Roscoff is a Port of Entry, and means that the timing of the trip round to Brest becomes easier, with some good stops on the way.
Heading straight to Brest not much in the way of timing is involved. If the tide is ebbing through the entrance when you arrive you can anchor somewhere in the bay and wait.
There is merit in doing Roscoff - Brest for the crew, as they will get to see a great coast rather than doing just a 'mile building' passage.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Heading straight to Brest not much in the way of timing is involved. If the tide is ebbing through the entrance when you arrive you can anchor somewhere in the bay and wait.
There is merit in doing Roscoff - Brest for the crew, as they will get to see a great coast rather than doing just a 'mile building' passage.

It's a rocky coastline and not that much to see from a boat transiting it ashore is a different matter but going to Roscoff then another 80 miles plus back to Brest when you could have gone there in the first place seems daft to me.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Sort of 'I wouldn't start from there' kind of thoughts...

If you're set on making landfall in Roscoff, I would leave from further East along the UK coast. I've done Falmouth - Roscoff in just over 17 hours.
A shorter crossing makes it easier to plan your arrival time.
I echo the point made earlier that you should aim to arrive at slack tide. The tidal flow through the pontoons can be significant.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
I had originally thought of routing from Scillies direct to Brest (crew change in Brest) but having read other threads etc, decided that Scillies to Roscoff could be a better idea. Roscoff is a Port of Entry, and means that the timing of the trip round to Brest becomes easier, with some good stops on the way.

Scilly to Camaret is 120nm so a nominal 24 hour trip (so similar run to going to Roscoff) an hour more or two more would have you in Brest, for the bits between Roscoff and Brest maybe plan for them on the return run. Scilly to the top of the C de 4 is a straight run that is outside the NE top end of the Ushant TSS and is easy crossing the shipping lanes as they are lining up nicely for their relevant lanes. I would leave Scilly around half ebb and that should have you arriving with a fair tide down and depending on how quick or slow you’ve been you may then catch the tide changing to carry you up into the Rade. On numerous crossings I’ve ended up off the French coast with no wind or something contrary to forecasts also several times it’s been a foggy arrival which made life interesting.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I was thinking the area from Roscoff S of Ile de Batz and the entry into L'Aber-Wrac'h, especially if you cut through on the transit alongside La Malouine.
Yes it's a pleasant area to start a cruise and it's really dependant on how much time the OP has before he picks up his new crew if he has time for 2 or 3 days then he can drop the hook at Ile de Batz nip along on the tide to L'Aber-Wrac'h across to Ushant then down to Brest and onward down the Atlantic coast where there is even more to do and see visiting the Islands on the way to La Rochelle.

doug748

Visit site
Hi all,

So planned trip to west of France is happening soon, leaving 28 May for 2 months. Have posted a few times over past months seeking advice which has been gratefully received!

For those who have perhaps sailed this route, or know the areas well, any advice re the passage planning from Scillies to Roscoff? It does look straightforward, missing some of the major TSS areas, but advice welcome.

Cheers

I think you are wise to go direct to Roscoff in the present circumstances. You have two tidal gates to juggle to get into Brest and we no longer (officially at least) have the option of a convenient plan B, without raising awkward questions. The past tactic of baling out to L'aberwrach or Camaret is now distinctly problematic.

You have a good slant on a SW wind - Scilly to Roscoff and it is little further than a crossing from the mainland. I think it is good advice to plan to get in at first light ish, you get a full day free and, if you can turn in at 5ish, you can still get in 6 hours sleep before lunch and no jet lag. Watch the tide on the pontoon ends, further in it is generally not too bad.

Don't bother trying to ring the Customs at Roscoff and don't approach them when they are dealing with cars, I have found both techniques doomed to failure. Best to tag along at the end of the queue for foot passengers boarding a ferry - the times are usually posted at the head of the pontoons or the staff will fill you in. The ferry terminal is 5 mins walk from the marina.

The marina used to have free bikes for shopping but last year they only had a couple of electrics which were rationed to a max of two hours or so, however I did see that they had trailers so great for load carrying.

Roscoff is a lovely place and the whole area is excellent, as long as you are equipped with a reliable chart plotter and/or suitable experience. A trip up to Morlaix might be an excitement too far but is well worth it if you have the time

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I think you are wise to go direct to Roscoff in the present circumstances. You have two tidal gates to juggle to get into Brest and we no longer (officially at least) have the option of a convenient plan B, without raising awkward questions. The past tactic of baling out to L'aberwrach or Camaret is now distinctly problematic.

You have a good slant on a SW wind - Scilly to Roscoff and it is little further than a crossing from the mainland. I think it is good advice to plan to get in at first light ish, you get a full day free and, if you can turn in at 5ish, you can still get in 6 hours sleep before lunch and no jet lag. Watch the tide on the pontoon ends, further in it is generally not too bad.

Don't bother trying to ring the Customs at Roscoff and don't approach them when they are dealing with cars, I have found both techniques doomed to failure. Best to tag along at the end of the queue for foot passengers boarding a ferry - the times are usually posted at the head of the pontoons or the staff will fill you in. The ferry terminal is 5 mins walk from the marina.

The marina used to have free bikes for shopping but last year they only had a couple of electrics which were rationed to a max of two hours or so, however I did see that they had trailers so great for load carrying.

Roscoff is a lovely place and the whole area is excellent, as long as you are equipped with a reliable chart plotter and/or suitable experience. A trip up to Morlaix might be an excitement too far but is well worth it if you have the time

A fair tide down the Four is not difficult to arrange and once in the Rade de Brest there is no worry about tide that an engine can't overcome if necessary. Where as gauging slack water to go alongside in Roscoff is not quite so easy.

West Coast

Visit site
Hi - thanks all, as always, great advice. We will likely have a few days before we have to be in Brest, hence thinking of exploring a bit of that coast before hand.

doug748

Visit site
The marina at Roscoff has had a few mentions over the years, esp regards the tide through it, this could give West Coast a misleading impression.

There is appreciable flow only on the outer pontoons and then only for a couple of hours in the cycle and it is predictable, aligned with the berths and moderate. Half the time it is a help and half a hinderance. It probably only really affects 30 berths out of 400. But you do have to be aware of it.
Sailors who have had events have generally taken a downtide berth, realising what has happened a shade too late, understandable after a crossing but no problem if you expect it.

People who use the Hamble marinas, Mayflower, Benodet, Teguier and others, will have experienced very much worse with strong, unpredictable flow, sometimes oblique or 90 degrees to some berths, spate water at times and little room to manoeuvre . Roscoff is just not in that class.
I try to check if the tide is making south or north and pick a spot to suit - another advantage of arriving in the early hours is that you can go for any convenient berth and move later if required.

It should be mentioned that it is excellently laid out with outstanding space. The pontoons are long and stable, the walkways are spacious and there are plenty of good, open cleats a thing you can't always bank on in France. The staff are helpful, often humorous; there is no rafting unless you have a 50 footer. Onshore the facilities are good, clean, modern but a bit stark; how the marina works on the water is what interests most sailors.
Given its location and ease of entry, I would rate it as one of the very best; in terms of layout and space on the water I can't think of any that is better.

zoidberg

Visit site
"The marina at Roscoff has had a few mentions...."

Be very aware that the 'approach lane' to the marina is shared with that to the cross-channel ferries' berth. You are required to keep well out of the way of ferries arriving/departing - which you will not see until you are close - and will not be thanked for sticking to an 'I was here first' attitude.

fisherman

Visit site
Once there if you plan to stay in France a while it would be worthwhile filling the wine cellar for the duration while in Roscoff, there were two large discount stores on the main approach road to Roscoff a bit of a walk to get to but they would deliver to the boat
wine beer roscoff winebeersupermarket.com
In my experience there is little quality wine in any store within 20km of the Ferry port, and a French person agreed with me. I've tried those stores. From Brest you might sail up to Châteaulin, the Leclerc is on the quay.
The checkout girl there asked why we were buying so much, I tried to explain that Récoltant (look at the top of the cork seal) is rarely available here, and if it is it's £15, not 5 euros, (more or less)