Schengen shuffle to Croatia or Turkey?

SlowlyButSurely

Visit site
We're in Greece and if we have to start shuffling this year we were planning to go to Croatia for a couple of months but have had second thoughts and might go to Turkey instead. We haven't been to either before. Our usual cruising pattern is to spend 7-10 days on the hook and then 3-4 days in a harbour.

We can only go to one or the other so would welcome suggestions.

RupertW

Visit site
Croatia has been in the EU since 2013 so although it’s outside Schengen like the UK it won’t count as leaving the EU.

Luffe44

Visit site
We will be heading up the Adriatic this summer. We carry Norwegian flag, so we need to leave EU every 18 months. On our way up, we will stop in Albania and re-start the VAT clock.

Pavalijo

Visit site
I read that days in Croatia will not count towards Schengen counting days until they join Schengen - probably late 2020. Similarly days in U.K. for non-eU citizens do not count towards Schengen restriction. I think Cyprus is in the same position as Croatia (due to become part of the Schengen Zone but not there yet).

macd

Visit site
We will be heading up the Adriatic this summer. We carry Norwegian flag, so we need to leave EU every 18 months. On our way up, we will stop in Albania and re-start the VAT clock.

I think the OP's principle concern is the boat's people, not the the boat itself. As a Schengen national, the 90 in 180 limit obviously does not trouble you, but it may be a hassle for them.

Incidentally, you don't need to visit Albania, or anywhere else, to re-set your boat's VAT clock. Simply leaving the (waters of the) customs territory of the EU is sufficient, although perhaps harder to demonstrate. There are actually several Greece-to-Greece passages within the Aegean that must take a boat out of the EU.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
There is still time to edit it!

Just thought you were personalizing it.:p;):encouragement:
Haha , you could say that .:)
At times predict texts take over and if I in a hurry and just send, its only after someone reply that it comes to lights .

"I'm no thanks sure if that's right , ( I not that sure that's right) because we know May from the ( because we know many guys from) US , Ozzie,NZ who been doing the shuffle in Croatia and seen to be getting away with it )
Better

Last edited:

SlowlyButSurely

Visit site
It seems my original question was a bit ambiguous so please allow me to clarify: if we have to leave the schengen area for two months this summer where would you recommend we go, Turkey or Croatia?

Bellacruiser

Visit site
I'd say Croatia, because we love it there and if they do succeed in joining Schengen*, it won't be an option for the shuffle much longer :)

Turkey is equally of merit but likely to be on the table as non-Schengen for longer :encouragement:

*purely out of self-interest, we are hoping they don't get membership too soon as remaining non-Schengen will simplify options for our sabbatical in c2 years in a post-Brexit world!

macd

Visit site
Turkey is equally of merit but likely to be on the table as non-Schengen for longer :encouragement:

*purely out of self-interest, we are hoping they don't get membership too soon as remaining non-Schengen will simplify options for our sabbatical in c2 years in a post-Brexit world!

Turkey will be non-Schengen (and non-EU) for a lot longer, I suspect. Neither Erdogan, nor the EU, have any aspirations to Turkey's joining anytime soon, whatever the blonde oaf might have suggested.

Heckler

Visit site
Turkey will be non-Schengen (and non-EU) for a lot longer, I suspect. Neither Erdogan, nor the EU, have any aspirations to Turkey's joining anytime soon, whatever the blonde oaf might have suggested.
Ill pass on your best wishes when I see him next!

alexsailor

Visit site
Depends where you’ll be. Ionian — go to Croatia. Aegean— go to Turkey. If you can go off season (June ot September) I would recommend Croatia (Vic you see: I am recomending Croatia:)) That is smth new)

Seven Spades

Visit site
Don't worry Brexit was cancelled today.

May says she will have a meaningful vote (it won't get through)

May says they will then vote on no deal (Brexit) and that won't go through.

Then they will vote to extend, this will go through.

Eventually they will hold a second referendum and Brexit will not be on the ballot, they're will only be two options. Remain or Remain but not in name (May's deal) even the most hardened Brexiters are not going to vote to remain without a say and still pay and pay an exit fee.

Brexit was killed today and with it democracy.

However, it does mean we don't need to waste anytime worrying about Schengan areas etc.

nortada

Visit site
Don't worry Brexit was cancelled today.

May says she will have a meaningful vote (it won't get through)

May says they will then vote on no deal (Brexit) and that won't go through.

Then they will vote to extend, this will go through.

Eventually they will hold a second referendum and Brexit will not be on the ballot, they're will only be two options. Remain or Remain but not in name (May's deal) even the most hardened Brexiters are not going to vote to remain without a say and still pay and pay an exit fee.

Brexit was killed today and with it democracy.

However, it does mean we don't need to waste anytime worrying about Schengan areas etc.

Think you might just be in the wrong forum. I’m sure you would feel much more comfortable in ‘Anything Brexit’!:encouragement:;)

Seven Spades

Visit site
No because I am not discussing the pro-or-cons. I am simply stating that the Brexit is over(and the reason why) and therefore the impact on sailing is going to be nothing.