Savvy Navvy for android

Steadfast

Visit site
Having recently taken my little tug over from Chatham to Ostend for the festival I was keen to have a backup for my elderly Raymarine E120. I was impressed with a friends Navionics app on Ipad but found that Savvy Navvy included live tidal information in its scheduling and also seemed to recognise the need to cross a TSS at 90 degrees, which Navionics auto routing doesnt. However I was completely unable to get an "offline" chart to download for the Savvy Navvy app on a Samsung S7 Galaxy phone, a Samsung S10 phone and a new Samsung A8 Tablet. I tried multiple times on many different WiFi connections as well as the devices own data connection in a variety of different signal strengths. In more than about 20 or even 30 attempts I only had 2 downloads that the app reported as successful and on one of those, when I checked, it had failed to download any buoyage between North Foreland and Ramsgate. Navionics charts download quickly and without issue on all three devices.
Ivo on the Savvy Navvy help messaging service is helpful and sympathetic but, beyond that, is unable to offer a solution. He agrees that I am trying to download correctly but says that they have not had other reports of download difficulties with Android.
To be clear, the app works and the route creation software seems to work OK. It's just the downloading of charts for offline use that is problematic, usually failing at between 40% and 80% download.
Has anyone else had this problem with Savvy Navvy on Android devices?

Steadfast

Visit site
Good suggestion Capt Popeye, but no. Both phones, although old, still have enough storage and the tablet is brand new with 32gig available.

Dutch01527

Visit site
I downloaded maps to old rugged android tablet with no issue. I find it reliable and useful. Just occasionally it freezes and I have to delete the app and reinstall - maybe three times in a year.

To me it complements, not replaces Navionic. The Savvy Navvy routing is much better especially for a sail boat. It takes into account the tides, wind
, course to steer when tacking into the wind ect. I like the best time to leave / trip time forecasts.

Navionics has a much better chart display for me. Savvy Navvy is simplified and cut down. I worry that something significant has been omitted and prefer the Navionics detail. Both provide a back up to each other and best of both worlds together. I have just added AIS via a quark wifi device.

Both are much better than the new Axiom 9 that is fitted to my boat. It hardly ever gets used.