Saving 'Kormoran' - Windfall Ketch

nmeyne

www.yacht-kormoran.org
We've been trying in vain to find out more about the early history of the Windfall yacht 'Kormoran' in preparation for a restoration project. Unfortunately after several months of searching, her early history remains a mystery. Not only that, but it's now clear that the costs and effort of restoration are well beyond my means or those of a possible restoration syndicate. The story of Kormoran is here:

http://www.yacht-kormoran.org

So if there is someone out there with interest in a sympathetic restoration and who has the means to carry it through, we would be very interested in hearing from them.

Regards,

Nick Meyne

Seajet

Visit site
Even I have heard of her - not enough to be any use re. early history I'm afraid - I presume you've thought of a grant a la 'Medway Queen', maybe they could give some tips...

Jan Harber

Visit site
Kormoran looks very similar to another Windfall yacht which I photographed at Ipswich Haven Marina in January 2008 – Marabu. She is 49ft, steel frames, built by Abeking and Rasmussen at Lemwerder in 1935.
Marabu was based at Brighton and I think owned by a syndicate, before ending up at Ipswich (not sure if she is still there). She was brought back to England by MOD Navy after the War and was still based in Portsmouth in 1967.

Last edited:

nauticalnomad

Visit site
Maribu

Maribu was there up until a year ago, when it was bought and sold on, but i am sure i saw her bow sticking out from behind fairline yachts there at Ipswich still,

Madeo

Visit site
Hi!

Thread drift slightly, but I sailed aboard Marabu when she belonged to the RN. I was about 9 years old (can't fix the year exactly) and on a RN-run 'young helmsman's' course at Whale Island and have a memory engraved forever in my mind of beating up the Solent in a force 4 - 5 on the last day... (not on the helm, I hasten to add! :)) The boat we were racing was called Electron or Electra...

Marabu turned up here in La Rochelle a few years ago; she was still owned by the syndicate then.

End of thread drift

VO5

Visit site
Marabu was moored in Shoreham at the time the syndicate was in negotiation to dispose of her. She needed a lot of work done, particularly below decks. I was very impressed with her lines though. I never sailed on her but a friend of mine regularly skippered her in those days and told me she sailed beautifully.

tonijon

east coast can be found most weekends at the Black
Visit site
I lived onboard marabu back in 06 when I worked for the former owner, she was in a bit of a state then needing reframing and quite a bit of refastening and planking not a lot of useable space for her size about 28ft worth was useable. Have you tried contacting the German media for help a long shot but it might turn up something

VO5

Visit site
I lived onboard marabu back in 06 when I worked for the former owner, she was in a bit of a state then needing reframing and quite a bit of refastening and planking not a lot of useable space for her size about 28ft worth was useable. Have you tried contacting the German media for help a long shot but it might turn up something

The Chronolgy you mention is about right.
I only made the post because of my connection to David Isted who skippered her and was a friend and neighbour at the time. I now live overseas as you can see. That was at the time I lived in Sussex. I am not (regrettably) interested in expanding my fleet. I already have a sort of private navy of my own..and that's enough...:D