Saved! tonight 9,00pm

chrisgee

Visit site
Itv tonight 9.00pm amongst other "saves" is the great job done by Rory ,owner of the Vliho Yacht Club, in rescuing a trapped guy from a Cat during the "Hurricane".

AndrewB

Visit site
Good stuff, with some interesting insights as to coping with an extreme emergency. I liked Ruairi's final observation on making a very risky rescue. "If I'd stopped and thought about it, I never would have attempted it. But at the time, the adreneline kicks in" [or words to that effect]. Anyway, incredibly brave, and fortunately successful.

SWMBO was rather critical of the trapped lady, Norma, who, despite having lived aboard for years and circumnavigated, seemed unresourceful, over-reliant on others. Also that she was a self-confessed poor swimmer. Ultimately she needed to be kicked out of the upturned hull by Ruairi.

These sudden, very extreme gusts of wind accompanying violent thunderstorms seem to be a feature of Nidri and Vliho Bay. We've had one every year since we've been cruising Greece. Always cause chaos.

Last edited:

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
These sudden, very extreme gusts of wind accompanying violent thunderstorms seem to be a feature of Nidri and Vliho Bay. We've had one every year since we've been cruising Greece. Always cause chaos.

They're a feature of the autumn thunderstorms, set off by high surface water temperatures. They're most frequent in the N Adriatic, where it's quite common to see waterspouts attached to large CuNimb from September onwards.

I sailed past that Vliho bay event. Luckily, in a ferry - about 8 hours before it hit Vliho. We saw two fat waterspouts pass, lit by lightning, with a few hundred metres radius of white water whipped up around the base forming a cone into the waterspout. Winds about 50kt. Spoke with a deck officer to ask what they'd seen. On radar they had identified 4 or more thunderstorm cores slowly circling each other, apparently coalescing into a tornado. They had aimed to miss the cores by half a mile.

affinite

Visit site
They're a feature of the autumn thunderstorms, set off by high surface water temperatures. They're most frequent in the N Adriatic, where it's quite common to see waterspouts attached to large CuNimb from September onwards.

I sailed past that Vliho bay event. Luckily, in a ferry - about 8 hours before it hit Vliho. We saw two fat waterspouts pass, lit by lightning, with a few hundred metres radius of white water whipped up around the base forming a cone into the waterspout. Winds about 50kt. Spoke with a deck officer to ask what they'd seen. On radar they had identified 4 or more thunderstorm cores slowly circling each other, apparently coalescing into a tornado. They had aimed to miss the cores by half a mile.

I think I might have aimed for little more than half a mile :)

jacaldo

Visit site
The evening before the storm hit we had come down from Paxos after a week walking the Island, we had not spoken to anyone for over a week and relied on vhf forecasts (not a word). We couldn't get into Vathi marina due to the high number of boats seeking shelter, we didn't have a clue what was going on until we took the last lazy line at the east corner in Spilia. That night we saw boats forced to leave the pontoons by the town quay and circle most of the night, it must have been terrifying, was anybody here on one of those boats?

AndrewB

Visit site
jimbaerselman; said:
Reminds me you reported on this storm here at the time. For anyone who didn't catch it, the thread is at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?287823-vliho-storm, with links to videos and news reports.

Last edited: