Satphone email and weather.

Allan

Visit site
Later this year we may buy a satellite phone to use for emails, which will be primarily for weather. I can't bring myself to speak to the ILM at Mailasail but I see from their website that the Red box they sell has some form of data compression facility. As most of the other things it does are of no use to us I'm wondering. A. Is the compression worth having? B. If so, can we get it some other way? C. How does it compare with normal zipping?
While I'm writing, what do others use while offshore and are there any major changes on the horizon?
Allan

Last edited:

Allan

Visit site

aluijten

Visit site
We recently went through the same process and ended up with a Iridium GO solution. It works in conjunction with a smartphone or tablet.

The device is about 1000 Euro and the subscription has several varieties. We got for our trip a 4 month unlimited data version for 150 Eur per month. Mind you that unlimited data does not mean much at only 2400 baud. That is the speed of the very, very early internet. So it's sufficient for plain mail and weather-gribs but not much more.

Bobc

Visit site
Many thanks for that, at present we don't want a big piece of equipment to keep us connected. Like most sailors here we should only require about 50 or so emails a year, plus any extra ones we have to pay for.
Allan

Not suggesting you go for that (it's a commercial system). More just making you aware that within a year or two, you're probably going to be able to get 4G/Wifi mid-ocean for not too may dollars.

Allan

Visit site
Yes, sorry, that was how I read your post. I'm sure that 5 minutes after we sign up for a system another step forward will happen! I still have an 8 track tape player somewhere, it's probably under the Betamax video machine!
Allan

oldvarnish

Visit site
I had an InReach - which died. However, it's a good bit of kit and has been updated. I see they now offer weather forecasts (with a subscription to OCENS) so you get texting, email and weather on a handheld costing about £300 (plus sub, but not large)

Allan

Visit site
Many thanks Oldvarnish. I'll look into that. I used an Inreach on a previous couple of trips and I was very impressed.
Allan

Delfini

Visit site
I m on the same path and bought an Iridium 9575 extreme handset with the Iridium WiFi Access Point and just about to sign up for Iridium Mail and Web - this software includes compression features - have a look at the below ink

https://iridium.com/products/details/iridium-mail-and-web

Also check out GlobalMarineNetworks who sell airtime and have a red (Optimiser) box which does the same thing as the mailasail RedBox but at a significantly lower cost

http://www.globalmarinenet.com/product/satellite-phone-data-optimizer/

Good luck

Allan

Visit site
Many thanks again, that is very useful. I'll go through both links. The optimizer is package exactly like the Alfa R36 that is part of my WiFi booster system. I assume that you can only use one form of compression.
Allan

GHA

Visit site
While I'm writing, what do others use while offshore
Allan
Weatherfax through a degen 1103 & either jvcom on Windows or fldigi on linux, streets ahead of gribs to get a feel for the big picture of what's going on. And free :)
Gribs from a ham radio and rms express software. Also free :cool:

oldvarnish

Visit site
Weatherfax through a degen 1103 & either jvcom on Windows or fldigi on linux, streets ahead of gribs to get a feel for the big picture of what's going on. And free :)

I also am a great fan of fax charts - the big picture tells you a lot more. Also, the drawing of a fax chart has human intervention. That is worth a lot.

Allan

Visit site

I tried this during my last trip across and found it unreliable once we were south of Gibraltar. I spent many night watches listening to all sorts of people around the world though.
I'm sure you could get the same information as weatherfax via satphone.
Allan

GHA

Visit site
I tried this during my last trip across and found it unreliable once we were south of Gibraltar. I spent many night watches listening to all sorts of people around the world though.I'm sure you could get the same information as weatherfax via satphone.Allan
What station? I can't remember going across but back from caribbean reception was no problem all the way, new orleans, Boston, then northwood/hamburg. If either/or then I'd go for wfax against gribs every time offshore. Fortunately it's both :) You can download the faxes but it's more data/minutes to pay for.

Allan

Visit site
What station? I can't remember going across but back from caribbean reception was no problem all the way, new orleans, Boston, then northwood/hamburg. If either/or then I'd go for wfax against gribs every time offshore. Fortunately it's both :) You can download the faxes but it's more data/minutes to pay for.
At home I got Germany and it all looked good for the trip. Once on our way the quality dropped and they then disappeared. I did get something from America but it was distorted and I can't remember which transmitter.
Allan

Allan

Visit site
I m on the same path and bought an Iridium 9575 extreme handset with the Iridium WiFi Access Point and just about to sign up for Iridium Mail and Web - this software includes compression features - have a look at the below ink

https://iridium.com/products/details/iridium-mail-and-web

Also check out GlobalMarineNetworks who sell airtime and have a red (Optimiser) box which does the same thing as the mailasail RedBox but at a significantly lower cost

http://www.globalmarinenet.com/product/satellite-phone-data-optimizer/

Good luck

I've just read that Ocens have some type of offer to upgrade from Redport to their Sidekick device. This would imply that the Sidekick is better.
Man, is it complex!?
Allan

Delfini

Visit site
@GHA - I wonder if you can share any secrets of the SSB world - having carried out a bit of research and following you post here, I bought a Sony SW7600GR (used twice and good price) from eBay as a backup to my Iridium and although the set picks up loads of radio broadcasts on AM I can't find any of the Northwood transmissions at the times they are supposed to be there

2618.5 (2616.6) kHz*
4610 (4608.1) kHz
8040 (8038.1) kHz
11086.5 (11084.6) kHz
18261 (18259.1) kHz*

Thanks for any basic guidance

GHA

Visit site
@GHA - I wonder if you can share any secrets of the SSB world - having carried out a bit of research and following you post here, I bought a Sony SW7600GR (used twice and good price) from eBay as a backup to my Iridium and although the set picks up loads of radio broadcasts on AM I can't find any of the Northwood transmissions at the times they are supposed to be there

2618.5 (2616.6) kHz*
4610 (4608.1) kHz
8040 (8038.1) kHz
11086.5 (11084.6) kHz
18261 (18259.1) kHz*

Thanks for any basic guidance
Where a puts are you & what antenna are you using?
I just had a quick listen on 4608.2Khz and there was something there. But if you're in a marina you might not recieve much with all the other masts around. Out at sea or anchored reception is much better.
Another good one to try is dwd on 10.1Mhz, it broadcasts text using rtty but you should be able to hear some squawking.

Delfini

Visit site
I am located in Brighton and with the extended wire aerial connected to the whip - I tried all the frequencies above on the hour but no sign - I will try 10.1mhz later today but nothing in my garden just now !