Sardinia Marinas

TNT

Visit site
We are trying to find a decent secure mooring for 4 months next year where we can leave our boat & come home; May - Sept. We only have 2 weeks to do the trip from Almerimar & head as far west as possible, final destination when returning in Sept will be Preveza. I have mailed 5 marinas/ports on Sardinia finding there email addresses in the Almanac & have yet to receive a reply. Has anyone else had difficulty contacting these places there websites are very limited too, I even faxed one of them & still nothing. I have had contact from Hammamet who are asking 1500 euros for 4 months.........is this the norm? Anyone who can suggest somewhere ? We are new to all of this so any advice would be appreciated. ps. our boat is 12m

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Based on our experience when passing through in 2005, I would suggest either Marina del Sole in Cagliari or Pueto Arbatax on the east coast, both offered (to us at least) reasonable prices and good service; both also offer the option of laying up ashore, if they're full on their floating berths.

If you don't make it as far as these, then you could try the marina at Castelsardo on the NW coast which was OK or Alghero though that'll certainly be a more expensive option.

Just north of Alghero is Base Nautica Usai at Fertillia; whom I wouldn't touch with the proverbial barge pole.

All marinas in the NE corner of the island will be very expensive and almost certainly fully booked for July.

A final word of advice - if time's short as you suggest, head east rather than west from Almerimar to Sardinia; I'm fairly confident you'll find it quicker. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cspirit

Visit site
We have had the same experience, and not only in Sardinia. In the end we've just turned up and, in most cases, we have managed to secure a berth. You could try Santa Teresa in the north or, less attractive but cheaper and more likely to produce a berth, Porto Torres. In the south, Cagliari comes well recommended, but I've not been there, but we have stayed in the marina in the extreme south east of the island (sorry can't remember the name) and they seemed to have plenty of room. Nice place, too, and fairly convenient for the airport @Cagliari (Easyjet to the UK)

rrees

www.cruisinglogs.org.uk
Marina St Elmo

They speak very good english and good service
Had my boat ther last year both ashore and in the Marina
Also very secure with locked gates and overnight security Guard unlike Marina Del Sole where we were able to walk from the street directly onto the pontoon without problem.

charles_reed

Visit site
Answers are most unlikely, even if you've e-mailed in Italian, and even more improbable if in English.

I was in Portoscuso marina earlier this year, found it clean, safe and economical. At least one of the staff is proud of his English.

E-mail address: booking@portbooker.com
Telephone: (+39) 781 50 91 14
Fax: (+39) 781 50 91 14
Address: Molo Centrale
09010 Portoscuso CA
Radio channel Radio channel: 9

I'd give Cagliari a miss - overcrowded, expensive and dirty and Port Torres is strictly for cargo vessels

You could try Porto Cervo - I've had 2 reports of the relative economy, but outstanding facilities overwintering.

http://www.marinadiportocervo.com/inglese/index.php

Can't vouch for it myself!!

MapisM

Visit site
If - as I understand - you're just looking for a mooring on your route from Almerimar to Preveza, and you're not interested to cruise Sardinia itself, then the most logical choices are in the following two areas:

http://www.pagineazzurre.com/english/ports/id_sar-76/region_sardinia.htm
http://www.pagineazzurre.com/english/ports/id_sar-77/region_sardinia.htm

By clicking on the "Available ports" list on the left, you get the details of each.
But mind, not all of the listed harbours are good enough to leave the boat for 4 months.
Out of the first area above, I'd recommend # 68, 71, 73 and 105.
In the second area, only # 76 is fine, though a bit lost in the middle of nowhere.

1500 Eur for 4 months with a 12m sounds reasonable also for southern Sardinia.
Mind, you could get the mooring for the full year at maybe 2000 Eur or so, but the months you're looking at include Jul and Aug, which are the only good ones for their business.

Yes, reaching these places via email might be tricky, by telephone is probably better.
But if you'll be there in May, I'm pretty sure that you'll find berths in any of the above marinas.

billcowan

Visit site
No, Torres has a little marina 'Cormorano'

I wintered there, very cheap, nice unpretentious totally untouristy town with very helpful motor factors & ferritaria
Only one restaurant, but with very good cavello steak

As usual, its pointless trying to book, just turn up.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Porto Cervo, for a long stay over the summer?
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It was €300/night in July/Aug back in 2005!

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
In north Sardinia, you're unlikely to find a high season berth afloat except at rather outrageous prices. It will be worth checking quotes for hauling out and leaving the boat ashore there; think Alghero particularly. If you do this in Fertilia, I'd suggest a written agreement about the cost and terms of re-launching. And, generally, most marinas in season are 'turn up and see what's there', since they're aiming to extract as much money as possible in the peak season, and prices vary by the week.

It helps to be able to phone and argue in voluble Italian.

The southern ports are far better value for money - far less busy in summer - and a much better bet for staying afloat. Personally, I enjoyed Cagliari . . . each to his own, I guess . . . and I endorse the ROTFL about posh Porto Cervo!

You'll find quite a few relevant comments about Sardinia on my web site.

TNT

Visit site
Thanks for your help once again Jim. It has been impossible to get an email reply from now 7 different marinas/ports around Sardinia. As a novice & it will be our 1st time over there it's a bit daunting that we can't get a idea of the costs involved. I'll keep trying anyway but maybe we will have to bite the bullet & just turn up somewhere like you say. Most people have recommended the South rather than North so may head there. Thanks again

TNT

Visit site
Just had an email from St Elmo Marina they want 2143 euros for 4 months.................that's a years mooring almost, are they kidding me!!!

fiddlefriend

Visit site
We spent last winter in Marina del Sole, in cagliari, South Sardinia. They are shambolic and lovely. Contact there is Max, whose English is not bad. They charged us less than 1000 euros-and that included antifouling. I think they are easily the cheapest in Sardinia. If it's of any interest there is a lively liveaboard community there. Good luck

LadyJessie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Marina del Sole, in cagliari, South Sardinia. They are shambolic and lovely.

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly! Easily the nicest marina in the western Med.

On another note: don't expect a response to emails from most marinas in the Med, they are not that sophisticated. You have to bite the bullet and just turn up, it usually works.

Pinetops

Visit site
You need to be more realistic about marina costs in the peak season. 2143 euro is very competitive for 12m but which San Elmo is it? - there is one in Alghero and one in Cagliari. My own experience is you are likely to pay this much for the 2 months July and Aug afloat in Alghero. There are several marina operators there with pretty consistent charges but limited liftout facilities. Some of them will set up somewhat cheaper arrangements in Fertilia which is safer than dealing direct and has better liftout. Dry berthing will definitely be cheaper than wet for the 4 peak months. Cagliari is definitely cheaper than Alghero and bearing in mind your onward journey that is your best option. I have had good telephone responses, in English, from several marinas with email quotes after that.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Have you tried http://www.ser-mar.it Great guy runs it called Frederico and he speaks quite good English. 15min walk to Alghero town but the marina does get quite strong swells. Frederico is very attentive and will look after things while you are away.
We had a whole year there in 2002 (not livaboards). They should have showers and toilets installed by now.

TNT

Visit site
It was Marina di Sant'Elmo Cagliari & the quote was actually 2165. I have also contacted Marina Del Sole which is highly recommended. Our other option is Malta Manoel Marina but they won't take a booking until 2 months before which doesn't leave us much time for organising flights etc. We may bite the bullit & head for Cagliari & sort something out when we arrive. Are the flights back to the UK regular?