Sapele ply?

KevinV

Visit site
What is this called - is it sapele? How do I spec it, and from whom? I only need a piece 700W x 500H x 6mm, for a new electrics panel.
IMG-20230821-WA0000.jpg
If it's horribly expensive I'll probably use regular ply in more or less the right colour, but it would be neater to keep things uniform.

wrr

Visit site
If you bodge it, it is likely that you will regret it every time you look at it! I would contact any yards in your area that deal with wooden boats or refits of plastic boats, as they may have an offcut of sapele-faced ply. The pieces in my workshop are just too small for your requirements. If the work leaves any end-grain exposed, suppliers of materials for model builders sell 6mm x 1mm mahogany stripwood for mere pence. This can be glued to the ply prior to cutting and produces both a professional finish and protected end-grain.

PCUK

Visit site
I used sapele door skins that are sapele veneered 3mm ply. A couple of quid each from the wood yard at the time. 30 years on and still good. No doubt the price has risen since then! Have you looked on Ebay for off-cuts?

KevinV

Visit site
Why not use a piece of black plastic for the instrument panel? This is quite normal and many builders do this.
I thought about this, but the boat is only small and I think adding more finishes will look messy - it's one of the reasons I removed the current "van carpet" effort

Tranona

Visit site
I used sapele door skins that are sapele veneered 3mm ply. A couple of quid each from the wood yard at the time. 30 years on and still good. No doubt the price has risen since then! Have you looked on Ebay for off-cuts?
I did the same - 30 years ago, but not sure they are available now. I still have one sapele door left in my 1970s house. Rest gone either completely because of modern open plan or replaced with solid wood.

KevinV

Visit site
Having seen the cost, and thought a bit, I had a rummage in my brain and the barn, and remembered I had some old headboards that I had kept for the nice walnut veneer. The back of them though....

IMG-20230827-WA0000.jpg
I've managed to steam the veneer off - now just the minor detail of applying it to some ply - how hard can it be? 🙈

KevinV

Visit site
So "how hard can it be?" is quite hard - the biggest issue being getting the veneer flat again, without waiting days. Managed it, and I'm pretty pleased with the result (on some excellent quality but distinctly grubby ply also found in the barn) 😁

IMG-20230828-WA0002(1).jpg

Reactions: vas

Martin_J

Visit site
Well done for using what you had already... I'm a bit late to this chat because I couldn't recall where I last bought some Sapele veneer from..

I've just checked my emails and it was from the place below...

Flexible Sapele Wood Veneer - Vale Veneers

It was well packed and although I bought it two years ago, it was still perfect to use this weekend (and it looks like it's the same price now as it was two years ago!)