Sanitation hose

Phill

Visit site
I’m just about to replace all the sanitation hoses from both heads to the holding tank as well as both inlet hoses. I’m looking for any recommendations for the hose please as I only want to replace them infrequently. Also lack of smell and ease of fitting are important. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
The grey Seaflow stuff sold by ASAP supplies is very good, much better than the white hard-plastic stuff I replaced.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/sanitation/sanitation-hose/style/butyl-sanitation-hose

Richard

Agree. Well worth the additional cost.

This type of butyl hose (other brands are available) also has the advantage that it's much easier to get onto fitting barbs (often difficult in larger bore hoses) than standard hose. So much so I've sometimes used it for non-sanitation purposes (e.g. deck drains, bilge pump outlets) where access is restricted.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Used the Hard plastic stuff , as price difference was considerable from the sanitation hose, I plumbed in 2 toilets running to holding tank and holding tank out, 38mm , it bends ok to get round most corners but not as flexible as the hose.
Double clipped and have had no issues or smells.
To cut is a job a good hacksaw , as the wire is the tube needs a little more grunt.
https://www.asap-supplies.com/sanitation/sanitation-hose/seaflow-reinforced-waste-water-hose-507038
To be honest I would have used the hose recommended above , but In a tight Scots man who could not bring himself to spend that much money on my bodily fluids :disgust:

neil1967

Visit site
Used the Hard plastic stuff , as price difference was considerable from the sanitation hose, I plumbed in 2 toilets running to holding tank and holding tank out, 38mm , it bends ok to get round most corners but not as flexible as the hose.
Double clipped and have had no issues or smells.
To cut is a job a good hacksaw , as the wire is the tube needs a little more grunt.
https://www.asap-supplies.com/sanitation/sanitation-hose/seaflow-reinforced-waste-water-hose-507038
To be honest I would have used the hose recommended above , but In a tight Scots man who could not bring himself to spend that much money on my bodily fluids :disgust:

I think that's as close as you'll get to a Scot saying it is worth paying more to get the better stuff. I would agree with him!

Poey50

Visit site
I recently plumbed in a new holding tank and replaced all the existing toilet hoses. I used the standard white sanitation hose for any visible pipes and the expensive butyl stuff for sections of hose hidden behind panelling where there were tricky bends. There are pros and cons to each.

White pros: cheaper, easier to wipe clean, smaller outside diameter, looks proper.
White cons: much harder to bend.

Butyl pros: much easier to bend without heating and to slip over fittings.
Butyl cons: more expensive, cloth cover not easy to keep clean, larger outside diameter, looks industrial.

My butyl hose covering ended up with a fair amount of my blood on it but that's another story. The point is, it couldn't be wiped clean.

Last edited:

RobF

Visit site
Good God that is expensive for a piece of pipe 1 metre long.

Agreed, but having spent the best part of an hour trying to get a white plastic waste outlet hose onto the tail of my skin fitting, and subsequently buying the butyl one - where fitting took 3 mins (with some help from an exhaust pipe expander), I reckon it's money well spent.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Butyl cons: more expensive, cloth cover not easy to keep clean, larger outside diameter, looks industrial.

I do agree that on runs where the butyl hose is visible it does look rather industrial with that white stripe and red writing. However, I soon discovered that because it is flexible it was possible to spin in around so that the white stripe is hidden away on the "far side". All you can then see is the grey pipe which is not too ugly. :)

Richard

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
The grey Seaflow stuff sold by ASAP supplies is very good, much better than the white hard-plastic stuff I replaced.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/sanitation/sanitation-hose/style/butyl-sanitation-hose

Richard

I agree - replaced the fwd heads pipe in Paw Paw with this Butyl pipe and it is seriously non smell and high quality. The down side was the run which was 7 metres... it does look a bit industrial compared to the previous white and much less expensive tube.

PTB

Visit site
Vetus sanitation hose is also the top grade stuff .. might be a bit cheaper at the online Vetus Shop. Well worth the money imo .. saves time and is so much easier to take off and relplace if you want to clean the hose out anytime or just for maintenance. I think it clamps more securely as well because it is not hard or goes brittle.

Phill

Visit site
Vetus sanitation hose is also the top grade stuff .. might be a bit cheaper at the online Vetus Shop. Well worth the money imo .. saves time and is so much easier to take off and relplace if you want to clean the hose out anytime or just for maintenance. I think it clamps more securely as well because it is not hard or goes brittle.

Yes, just ordered some. Adds up doesn’t it?

rszemeti

Visit site
Vetus sanitation hose is also the top grade stuff .. might be a bit cheaper at the online Vetus Shop. Well worth the money imo .. saves time and is so much easier to take off and relplace if you want to clean the hose out anytime or just for maintenance.

I have a particular rule for sanitation hose and maintenance. It involves not doing it, getting someone else do do it or spending a week with it soaking in bleach first. Once fitted, I prefer ir to stay fitted until thrown away.

Which reminds me I need to fit "above sea level" loops to the heads ...

laika

Visit site
My boat stank when I bought it. I replaced all the sanitation hoses with Vetus butyl and 9 years on it's still fine. If I recall correctly I had to take a flap wheel to some of the holes the hose passed through as the outer diameter was bigger than the old white stuff.

Has anyone here got experience of both vetus and the asap hose? Next time I replace any hoses I'll probably try the ASAP stuff not because I'm unhappy with the vetus but just to compare

Norman_E

Visit site

Another vote for Vetus hose. I replaced some old hoses with Vetus, and it was far easier to fit than the white plastic stuff.

Rafiki

Visit site
My boat stank when I bought it. I replaced all the sanitation hoses with Vetus butyl and 9 years on it's still fine. If I recall correctly I had to take a flap wheel to some of the holes the hose passed through as the outer diameter was bigger than the old white stuff.

Has anyone here got experience of both vetus and the asap hose? Next time I replace any hoses I'll probably try the ASAP stuff not because I'm unhappy with the vetus but just to compare

The problem with the outside diameter being larger than your original may also exist with the so-called standard white hose. Some of that stuff is re-inforced with wire and has a thicker wall as a result and some isn't. It is a right pain to be increasing the diameter of holes in the back of cupboards and through bulkheads.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Have to defend the white hose, just use a heat gun on it and it slide over my outlets no issues, managed to bend it and used maybe 15+metres of the stuff , price price price:D

Humblebee

Visit site
https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?Search=gael+force+sanitation+hose
I've just fitted this stuff to my old Westerly Longbow as I rather suspected the old hose was getting choked up or blocked and hadn't been replaced for many years.
Flying Goose, post 18, gives a valuable tip about heating the hose before pushing it onto fittings. I did the same but using a pint mug of near boiling water to do the job.
Anyway, main reason for posting is to say that what I thought would be a one hour job took nearer ten hours. Main problem was the time I had to spend cleaning out the Henderson pump of accumulated limescale or whatever it is. Crikey, it took some shifting. Then cleaned the valves on the pump before reassembling it and finding I had the alignment of the handle wrong. Stripped again and reassembled only to find I had trapped a bit of the main diaphragm in the join and the pump was leaking. Stripped and reassembled, this time the screw fittings holding the exit valve in place were leaking. Stripped, sorted and reassembled... next time it'll be a new pump and hang the cost!
Oh, and allow for needing some new jubilee clips. Some of my old ones were corroded and had to be cut off, another bit of awkward hacksaw work.
wishing you success - at least, more than I had!