Salt Water Tap

stretch33

Visit site
Debating about fitting a salt water tap to the galley would the liveaboard forum recommend it ? If so l intend taking a 'T' off the engine inlet seacock with its own shut off valve does this make sense to you guys. (dont want another hole in the bottom)
Cheers Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
it will save a lot of fresh water for e.g. rinsing plates. not sure about tapping off engine inlet as it may allow air back into your engine pump.

be sure to label the salt tap - a guest once made coffee from it and it was a horrible shock!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Anthony

Visit site
I also have doubts over the engine take off. The previous owner of my boat did exactly that, then disconnected it again when a marine engineer told him about the possibility of inducing airlocks. It maybe possible with one way valve etc, but would suggest you check with a few 'experts' first.

Yes a sea water tap would be useful, it saves trying to get water with a bucket to do the washing up whislt underway, which actually can be a little hazardous if you have some speed on (u either nearly go over with it, or loose the bucket!).

Would be interested to hear your findings, please do post them back here.

Anthony

<hr width=100% size=1>The difference between men and boys, is just the price of their toys...

davidbains

Visit site
I fitted a salt water tap with it's own seacock and powerful foot pump
at the galley and it definitely makes the fresh water last longer.
I always use it for washing up although the more sensitive crew complain
of salt residues on the glasses. Also useful for washing dirty hands with
wup liquid after endless maintenance and also I fill a pan and chuck in the
lavac when necessary (frequently frankly!).
It also amuses me boiling eggs in seawater!
And half and half for potatoes, but not pasta!
David.

<hr width=100% size=1>

stretch33

Visit site
Thank you for your comments, where might l find an expert who might know of such things ? Perhaps one of the PBO staff might reply.
Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

Anthony

Visit site
Putting in a dedicated thru hull would be an answer, although the less holes drilled in the bottom of my boat the better as far as I am concerned!

Might want to repost the engine intake question to the PBO forum as it is a very practicle sort of question and that seems to have alot more traffic.

Anthony

<hr width=100% size=1>The difference between men and boys, is just the price of their toys...

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Stretch33!

Yes, I was a bit undecided like you a few years ago before we pushed off on our long term cruising. Having bought a very expensive bronze outlet (tap) I was contemplating the extra hole through the hull (I didn't like the idea of either engine inlet or other sources) when SWMBO said 'Why bother, we zap a bucket on a string over the side to wash down, why not do that for the pre-washing up etc etc and avoid all the hassle?!!' Dammit, she was dead right. That's exactly what we've done ever since where fresh water was at a premium ..... and I still have the outlet!

So from experience, I wouldn't bother!

Good sailing!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Have been considering this as well, and will be fitting a dedicated thu-hull for galley use, and plumbing off the existing intake for the heads in the shower/heads (after I move the effluent pipe well aft of the intake!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Undertand you don't want the extra hole. Our boat came with a plugged seacock which was obviously used for a seawater feed, so I reinstated this with a footpump and this works fine. I'm tempted to T this off to a deckwash pump also.

As others have said, I wouldn't take it off an engine inlet. Seems choice is hole or bucket.

<hr width=100% size=1>

robind

Visit site
Sea water can also be used in some cooking (provided maybe its clean/boiled?) try Rice, bread making, soup, any water that needs salt addition, etc, seems logical, I know, and does work.
Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

jeanne

Visit site
I have had a salt water tap teed from the engine cooling intake for 18 years, with no problems. With my first engine, on a half inch I.D. seacock, you couldn't pump when the engine was running: I re-engined, and the seacock specified was 1 inch I.D., and now I can pump all the time.
It really does save water when on passage. Washing up liquid lathers in salt, veggies can be washed in salt , rice can be cooked in three parts fresh to one part salt, and the mucky bits in the sink don't care what it is that sluices them away!
I put the salt water on a foot pump, and the fresh on a hand pump to avoid confusion.
If you have a pressurised water system the biggest water saver is to switch it off on passage, and use a hand pumped system. When you are hand pumping , you stop as soon as you can, and you can't do things like washing your hands under a running tap.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site
I personally would never take the domestic sea water off the engine sea water inlet as one runs the real risk of sucking air through relying on the non return valve in the domestic hand pump. If forced to do so (but I would rather have another hole in the hull) I would try a proper non return valve in the domestic connection to prevent possible reverse flow and consequent air induction into the engine suction.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
I had one, but as it only got used during ocean passages, eventually got rid of it during a galley makeover.

Jeanne is right that the biggest water saver is to turn off the pressurised system. My former salt water tap is now a foot-pump operated fresh water tap.

Sea water is very salty for cooking, one part seawater to five fresh is right for rice.

<hr width=100% size=1>