sails from the far east

D

DogWatch

I think we are all sharing the experience of Chinese sails...

...banking collapse, manufacturing collapse, UK industry collapse.

Buy British, from a British loft, the sails look so much better when you look aloft, that's right, because they have done their bit to help the economy.

William_H

Visit site
We had a very good sail loft known as Tasker Sails here in Perth but which has now relocated to Thailand.
I have not dealt with them but know they have a shop front still here in Perth and had an excellent reputation for racing sails.
The owner Roly Tasker is quite old (olympian and ocean salor) but has built a Sailing Museum at Mandurah which is quite impressive.
The company still run a spar business in Perth which is very good from my experience.
My point being that while in Thailand this is not a new or fly by night operation. good lcuk olewill

ytd

Visit site
we have bought a storm jib and a cruising chute from Rolly Tasker Sails in Thailand. Happy with both of them. Have heard good reports of cruising sails from Neil Pryde Sails in HK.

Richard10002

Visit site
Main from Lee Sails Hong Kong

I recently bought a new main in Malta ... when it arrived it has Lee Sails Hong Kong logo on it. Havent used it in anger yet, but will report back.

Richard

bluevelvet

Visit site
Far East sails

I bought a main and genoa from Lee sails early in 2008 the quality was as good as you can get and the attention to detail and finish was superb.I am consisdering ordering a light genoa but thought that the Dollar price might not make them as attractive at the moment.Regards John

quaelgeist2

Visit site
aren't we all ?

Talking to many sailmakers at tradeshows before ordering our sails, I have to assume that most sails are manufactured in Asia these days.
Some are more open about it than others.

The local guys makes the different in terms of measuring, suggesting high/low cut genoa, reefs, reinforcing, extras etc.

Most sailmakers after questioning a bit further agreed that the "base sail" or "ulitmate production" is somewhere in Asia.

The local guy may very well make alterations for the final fitting, which is important and valuable, also for servicing afterwards. But they hardly make the sail from rolls of mylar and taffeta or so...

LeonF

Visit site
I bought new sails from Hyde a few years ago and they were completely open about them being made in the Phillipines. I got their usual first class service as they came and measured the boat and the old sails, and the sails are superb quality, and are often commented on. It keeps their staff in the UK working, and helps the global economy as well.

Bobobolinsky

Visit site
Some sail makers are now just agents and don't loft themselves. They rebadge sails made in Hong Kong and then charge a whole lump extra for the name. If they did that at a carboot they would be arrested for Snide Gear. My experience with Hong Kong is good and that's where my next set will come from (Unless Quantum give me a competitive quote Hehehehehe)

Robin

andygc

Visit site
The local guy may very well make alterations for the final fitting, which is important and valuable, also for servicing afterwards. But they hardly make the sail from rolls of mylar and taffeta or so...
But here in Devon - Topsham to be precise - the local sailmaker does make the sails himself. Sails & Canvas is the firm, Chris Scanes the sailmaker.

Not much use to you folk in Australia, but handy if you sail in the south west of England. (Although his junk sails go outside the UK - that's junk as in sails with lots of thin battens)

katiestevetabor

Visit site
Sail lofts

We bought two head sails from FarEast sails. They were excellent to deal with, very competitive price and high quality product. However, we are now getting quotes for a main and due to the detail involved, would not wish to buy without having the company on board to do exact measurements. Any recommendations on a UK sail loft supplying high quality product.

dukes4monny

Visit site
But here in Devon - Topsham to be precise - the local sailmaker does make the sails himself. Sails & Canvas is the firm, Chris Scanes the sailmaker.

Not much use to you folk in Australia, but handy if you sail in the south west of England. (Although his junk sails go outside the UK - that's junk as in sails with lots of thin battens)

Chris did my new furling genoa last year, and a first class job he did too. I am really glad that I used a local sailmaker as I also ended up having to change my furler AFTER I had ordered the new sail from him which meant a couple of alterations were needed......Chris had these done for me in 30 minutes!
All at a very competitive price with plenty of free advice too.

Appleyard

Visit site
far east sails

I bought a cruising chute from Rolly Tasker..used their UK office. Sail was delivered to Greece,well on time and looks and performs very well.. Price was competitive with others.

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
We bought two head sails from FarEast sails. They were excellent to deal with, very competitive price and high quality product. However, we are now getting quotes for a main and due to the detail involved, would not wish to buy without having the company on board to do exact measurements. Any recommendations on a UK sail loft supplying high quality product.

We've just replaced our main using Sanders Sails.

Peter Sanders measured up and delivered a first rate product. Sanders are based in Lymington.