Sailing up the Dutch coast past Rotterdam................

Modulation

Visit site
..............or, more accurately, crossing past the Maasgeul. We're heading for Den Helder in a week or so and we'll be sailing from Vlissingen. I seem to remember that there were significant changes a year or two back to the advice for leisure craft crossing the Maasgeul......covered reporting etc. I know it's a busy waterway and want to do it right so can anybody point me to the advice?
Tried a search but nothing came up.
Thanks

westhinder

Visit site
Crossing the entrance to the Maas: there's a defined small craft crossing point, marked with buoys either end, and you should call Maas Control on Ch 03 [from memory].

Yes, coming from the South you go to the Mv West Cardinal (Maasvlakte) and report to Maasmond/Maas Entrance on Ch 03.
Coming from the North you do the same at the Green Mn buoy. Maas Entrance will advise you of any shipping that you may meet as you cross the fairway.
What happened was that this suggested crossing area was moved further out to sea as the Maasvlakte was expanded, enlarging the Port of Rotterdam a couple of years ago.
Thousands of yachts cross there every season, there is nothing to worry about.,
Here is the leaflet: https://www.maasvlakte2.com/uploads/crossing_route.pdf or in Dutch:
https://www.maasvlakte2.com/uploads/oversteekroute_2.pdf

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
As they describe. One factor we found, and which I reported here, was that there are so many vessels in the area that my AIS didn't display all of them, and one or two approached within a few miles before appearing on the screen, so keep a good lookout for ships, especially those coming out.

Resolution

Visit site
And keep well away from all the oil terminal stuff marked on the charts. We were not aware that some of them have a 500 metre exclusion zone. Fined a thousand euros!

EdWingfield

Visit site
And keep well away from all the oil terminal stuff marked on the charts. We were not aware that some of them have a 500 metre exclusion zone. Fined a thousand euros!

Thanks for that Mr Res. I presume they sent a Guard Boat over to I.D. you and chase you away? Were you boarded at your next port? On the spot fine, or a Court appearance?